Extending diesel exhaust to prolong operator life

/ Extending diesel exhaust to prolong operator life #1  
Tractor
John Deere 4200
I know that living on this planet will eventually be the death of me but I would prefer it not read on my death certificate "death by diesel smoke fumes". I have a year 2000 JD 4200 stinkpot with home made cab. I love my tractor but need to do something about the fumes. My idea is to purchase a 1.5 inch by 6 foot galvanized flex exhaust pipe and clamp it to the original short exhaust pipe that currently extends below the engine near the left front wheel and extend the flex pipe along the underside of the tractor to somewhere near the back of the tractor. Can the solution be this simple or am I missing something? Anything in particular I should be aware of?Thanks in advance.
Mark from Maine

/ Extending diesel exhaust to prolong operator life #2  
Haven't you heard? You're supposed to scrap your current tractor and get an electric tractor.

/ Extending diesel exhaust to prolong operator life #3  
I've done that on 8N tractors before and a lot of other tractors and machines.

Nothing wrong with it.

It will actually be a tad quieter too.

It's odd, I love the smell of diesel fumes, but I know it's as bad (probably worse) than smoking cigarettes... -- I know, I'm doomed.

/ Extending diesel exhaust to prolong operator life #4  
Haven't you heard? You're supposed to scrap your current tractor and get an electric tractor.
Noooooooo..... diesel forever.... lol

/ Extending diesel exhaust to prolong operator life #5  
I find as good particulate respirator works wonders...

Originally wore for allergies and wanting to avoid meds and soon found it did double duty...

A good mask filters odors and soot.

/ Extending diesel exhaust to prolong operator life #6  
Last edited:
   / Extending diesel exhaust to prolong operator life #7  
My tractor is parked in a large carport stall. It's enclosed on the sides - open on both ends. The only time I experience diesel fumes is at startup - and that is short lived. Prevailing winds blow the fumes out the front of the carport.

It's never a problem once I get underway.

IMG_0001.jpeg

/ Extending diesel exhaust to prolong operator life #8  
That universal flex exhaust pipe is really crappy stuff. A bit of moisture or a stick in the right spot and it's all over for it.

Use solid pipe for most of the run and weld some bends on as needed to connect to your current pipe.

/ Extending diesel exhaust to prolong operator life #9  
Is this why semi trucks and older tractors have vertical pipes pointing up towards the sky? have You considered this?

/ Extending diesel exhaust to prolong operator life #10  
Is this why semi trucks and older tractors have vertical pipes pointing up towards the sky? have You considered this?
Not much help to the OP here but I did this on my old Kubota B7100 HST. It came stock with a horizontal muffler and short outlet tube. I removed the 4 bolt muffler flange from the exhaust manifold and rotated it 90 degrees so it was pointing upward. I bolted a 3' piece of galvanized 1 1/4" pipe to the outlet and problem solved. I just had to be careful near the tree line to avoid breaking it off on a limb.

Changing the exhaust direction shouldn't be a problem on most tractors as long as the method isn't restrictive. If you go vertical, make sure you keep the rain out of the pipe when not in use.