Farm accidents: Low IQ levels or wrong choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chagit

Tractor
Case
What is the reason behind farm accidents ?

"Low IQ scores in early adulthood were associated with a subsequently increased risk of unintentional injury. A greater understanding of mechanisms underlying these associations may provide opportunities and strategies for prevention"

Although willpower and choice based accidents may be independent of IQ levels, still in order to secure the work in the widest scope, it should be aimed to minimize the multitasking distribution as much as possible to minimize the accidents based on the lack of analytical ability due to low IQ levels and choice mistakes due to physical fatigue. Warnings written in an effective language that triggers the right way of thinking should be posted all over the farm to ensure that workers are constantly reminded. Workers suspected of slow analytical ability should not be assigned to complex tasks.

ericm979

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson 3725H
IQ tests primarily test how good you are at taking IQ tests. I've known high IQ people who could be brilliant at some things but at times lacked common sense.

And of course we don't want to entirely blame accidents on the victims. While people can do dumb stuff, employers and designers should take that into account and make processes and machinery so people who do dumb stuff don't get hurt. Because we've all done dumb stuff at some time in our lives.

Slowpoke Slim

Veteran Member
Tractor
Husqvarna YTH24V48 riding mower, Branson 3725CH
IQ tests measure a fish's ability to climb a tree.

I've met some extremely stupid people with "high IQ's". Most of them, you really do wonder how they find there way home at night.

Doughknob

Gold Member
Tractor
Deere X500, Bobcat CT4045
What is the reason behind farm accidents ?

"Low IQ scores in early adulthood were associated with a subsequently increased risk of unintentional injury. A greater understanding of mechanisms underlying these associations may provide opportunities and strategies for prevention"

Although willpower and choice based accidents may be independent of IQ levels, still in order to secure the work in the widest scope, it should be aimed to minimize the multitasking distribution as much as possible to minimize the accidents based on the lack of analytical ability due to low IQ levels and choice mistakes due to physical fatigue. Warnings written in an effective language that triggers the right way of thinking should be posted all over the farm to ensure that workers are constantly reminded. Workers suspected of slow analytical ability should not be assigned to complex tasks.
Looking at you signature. That is a good one! What do you think of this one I want to make my sig: "Ban guns. They kill people." ?

mwayne

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2538
Of the few fatal farm accidents I have first hand knowledge of, fatigue or extreme fatigue would be the primary cause. Cutting hay in the summer all during daylight hours and then servicing the equipment after dark for days on end for example, causing the tractor operator to fail to yield right of way to a locomotive. Hauling square bales all day until night and falling asleep running the truck off road.
Alcohol would be a secondary cause.

OP
C

Chagit

Tractor
Case
Could alcohol related accidents or working above one's capacity with the ambition of making more money, be a sign of low IQ levels ? or behaviors triggered by animal instincts based on short term gratifications ?

Torvy

Platinum Member
Tractor
Looking to purchase a Compact Tractor in 30-50 HP range.
I hate pretentiousness. If some snob met my cousin, they would probably assume him to be an ignorant hick. Thing is, he has a BS as did both of his parents who ran the ranch before him. Despite the odds stacked against a cattle rancher nowadays, his net worth, excluding the land, is upwards of 7 figures. Of course, you would never notice. Old ranch house, used equipment, seed corn hats and dirty boots.

As for people who get injured or killed? Lots of reasons. Complacency is one big one. People are cautious at first, but get in a hurry and fail to shut off the PTO or go faster than they should on that steep incline, or other such things. Sometimes it is poor engineering. Sometimes it is just plain bad luck. Sure, some people are just not bright enough to save themselves. Suggesting that this is some rural phenomenon is, frankly, offensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.