Farm Dump truck

/ Farm Dump truck #1  

JasG

Veteran Member
Tractor
B2650,
My neighbor wants to get a single axle dump truck and was wondering about registration. Back in the 70’s he had one and at the time it wasn’t required to have a CDL. Now it seems unless you get glorified pick up with a dumper everything needs a CDL. He has a farm and was wondering if he registered it as either Farm or Ag if this would exempt him from his CDL? I knew a few people with dump trucks that they use for plowing only and at the time registered them as special commercial and you didn’t need a CDL then (around 1995). But the trucks could only go from parking lot to parking lot and were not to be used as dump trucks. I’ve also heard of, as an antique vehicle, but know of no one that has done this. Just want and idea of options before I go to the DVM to research more for him. We are located in Central New York.

/ Farm Dump truck #2  
I'm sure this varies by state, so you'd need to check there.

I know around here, the TAGS for farm trucks are much less than for commercial trucks.

Ron

/ Farm Dump truck #3  
I believe it depends a bit where you are. My BIL was just informed he needed a CDL ( CDL-A maybe?) for his Dodge 3500 Dually dump (non AG use). I believe the magic number is 10,000 GVWR. Others will be able to help more.

/ Farm Dump truck #4  
Yep it all depends on weight and the purpose. Each state has it's own rules for that. 99% of the time you're way better off just to pay someone to do your hauling when you consider the fuel, the upkeep of the truck, license fees, and the general headache with an older dump truck. You also, regardless of CDL or not, have to federally inspected by DOT certified inspectors. That in and of itself is a nightmare!

/ Farm Dump truck #5  
In NY, a CDL license is required for a dump truck registered above 18000 Lbs. If registered for less, no CDL is needed. Just be sure not to fill the dump body and try to go through a weigh station. If he registers the truck for 18K and the truck weighs 12k, he can only haul 6K. If used for commercial use he'll need the CDL. If he qualifies as a farm (I think the minimum is 40acres), he may be able to get farm (agricultural)plates. Even a dump truck towing a trailer may require a CDL. If he doesn't mind the push 1, push 2, etc. routine he can get answers by calling the local DMV office or faster if he just goes there and asks what the options are to register his truck.

/ Farm Dump truck #6  
Here in Va. I use a FARM USE tag/plate. I don't buy the tags at DMV. I think the last ones I bought were from a SouthernStates farm store. As long as I'm hauling a product to or from my farm for my farm I can run the truck legal. I've hauled 7 tons of gravel many times and have been through the state scales. I do have to have insurance. I have liability only. I've driven out of state several times and never been pulled over. The FARM USE tag doesn't identify the state I'm from. Going out of state may be illegal. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I've never asked.

I'm sure it varies from state to state. Good old Va. Oh!!! Virginia is for Lovers!!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ Farm Dump truck #7  

Hey, Charolais,

In our Va, I believe the CDL min is 26001 GVWR. That may be federal. Under that any licensed driver can drive it. Farm use, the CDL rules do not apply per Ms Burt at Va DMV. I happen to know her mother and both are a hoot. I asked her what I needed to do to make my farm use Mack legal. She said, "Honey have you got 2 pieces of cardboard and a magic marker and can you spell farm use?". That was that. There are many restrictions in VA on farm use vehicles and tightening seems to be occurring as abuses by "gentlemen/weekend" farmers mount. Now none of us would be in that category, would we /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif?

Yes, I think going out of state is illegal on farm use tags. Bad boy.

Va does not require you to have insurance on a strictly farm use vehicle but you are of course still liable if you are cause an accident.

What I really want is a 4wd dump truck (single axle) for farm use. Have a couple of old tandem Macks (big mothers that take as much oil in on a change as most vehicles do on complete refuelings), trade anyone?

We found out that our business insurance would cover any vehicle used strictly for upkeep of the business, but then using a farm use vehicle very much for restaurant purposes, well, you can see the problem there.

Again, in VA, if you are insursed for your owned cars, etc, then you are covered for liability as I understand it, no matter what you are driving.

I bought reduced cost "F" tags for my F-350 which I drive all the time.

For my gator, I dunno.

HTH

Jim

Remember, though I can lay claim to being a CPA, I am neither a lawyer nor an insurance agent. Get your own advice, folks.

/ Farm Dump truck #8  
How about a single axle dump that dumps 3 ways?

And is 4-wheel drive?

And has a PTO?

Now, that is a farm dump truck!!!

Get a UNIMOG! It may only go 45 miles/hour and the bed is only 6'8x6'8, but I have hauled lots of stuff in it.

NO CDL required, at least here in PA.

Have a good one,
Neil.

PS Here is a good web page to start.

/ Farm Dump truck #9  
Everything is legal until you get caught. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Farm Dump truck #10  
"Now none of us would be in that category, would we ? "

Hi jgh. I look at the Farm Use thing is "don't ask don't tell." /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I figured it was illegal to go across the state lines but never had any problem and never asked.

You sure hit it when you said restrictions tightening fast. I see lots of local folks running the Farm Use tags now that I know don't farm. One guy is a logger and pulls loads to local saw mill. Most get caught when they stop at a country store or go to town and are seen parked at a business that has nothing to do with farming.

When I get on the road with my IH I can prove I farm. I just step out of the cab and show the cow manure on my shoes. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I always try and step in a fresh pile just before I fire that Cat up. Now some may think that's NASTY. I tell em cow manure is just "used hay." /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif That's about as natural as it gets from a farm. Kinda organic like. What you think? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I ran red fuel for a long time. One of my neighbors got caught and it cost him enough I figured it was time for me to drain the tanks and start with fresh on road fuel. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif He got a right $$$$ fine for that. Had it in two pickups and a 2 ton truck. They caught him near where he lived and followed him home to check the other two trucks. That fuel fine would make a ticket for driving out of state seem like chicken feed.

Two pieces of cardboard? I've seen them and also have seen Farm Use spray painted across the rear gate, down the sides and across the hood. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I just went fancy and bought the factory plastic tags. I tried the cardboard once. Left the truck in the pasture over night and the cows ate the cardboard right off. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif