Farm UTV/RTV Purchase

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #51  
Perhaps some of you very wise farmers out there can direct me to determining what UTV/RTV to purchase for my new farm. It will need to have 4 seats (Family) and a lift bed. Kubota is an interesting one. Any help would be appreciated. A couple of things. Farm is 22 acres of pasture, few trees in North Texas. Plan to have cattle, orchard, vegetable and berry farm.

Recommending what you use for steep hills...or mucky terrain...or handling in narrow and tight spaces...or rocky terrain...etc etc. may not necessarily help the OP. Pasture with a few trees is a pretty tame environment. But I have not visited north Texas so maybe their pasture land is more challenging than what we have in Michigan.

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #52  
Perhaps some of you very wise farmers out there can direct me to determining what UTV/RTV to purchase for my new farm. It will need to have 4 seats (Family) and a lift bed. Kubota is an interesting one. Any help would be appreciated. A couple of things. Farm is 22 acres of pasture, few trees in North Texas. Plan to have cattle, orchard, vegetable and berry farm.
Take a look at the Kawasaki mules. They are reliable and tough as nails.

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #54  
I've owned all kinds of ATV's and have driven 200 horsepower turbo 1000's of both Can Am and Polaris.

I ONLY want my RTV-X1100C. Might be slow but it will pull all those other ATV's like a train. They might have 200 h.p. but I got 2500 pounds, LOL And one look at the chassis, driveline and components compared to a "toy" ATV/UTV.....no comparison.

Plus better warranty, and for those that finance Kubota has 0% and KTAC insurance.

But that's just my opinion. I had my years of going fast. Now I like a dump truck that can work and play.

Just replied in another thread.....I haul a full load of pit run gravel up this hill with AC on at 7 to 10 MPH. So yes it's slower than the others, but it will do it for years stress free.

Attachments

• 20210703_151835.jpg
    20210703_151835.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 136
   / Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #55  
I've had a Kubota RTV-X1120 since 2015 and it's been great. Never had any problems with hills. I routinely climb a steep hill that requires low and 4WD, with no issues. If I am on the road traveling at top speed in high gear (28mph) I might lose 4-5mph by the top of a long hill but that's the nature of HST. Just like a tractor, you can always back off the pedal to run at a lower effective gear ratio. You can also add a hand-throttle kit to allow you to independently control HST and throttle (by default they are linked which is fine 90% of the time).

I've worked with many other brands of machines that my neighbors own, and feel like Kubota is really in their own niche. With the hydraulics and other capabilities, there is no comparison if you want something that works hard. Many of the other brands have an electrically driven hydraulic pump for the dump bed and it's a joke compared to the real hydraulics on the Kubota. You have to experience it for yourself to understand. Let's just say I am very underwhelmed when I see the other machines dump a load (slow and feeble is a good way to describe it).

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #56  
We bought a Kawasaki Mule 4010 Trans4X4 for our 14 acres. It is used almost every day. It pulls the manure spreader and the 25 gallon sprayer. As it does not go above 25 MPH it is not required to have doors or side nets. Makes getting in and out easy for picking up trash, fixing fence, etc. Added a windshield and AudioFormz fiberglass roof with lights and stereo.

View attachment 720234
where did you source that windshield ?

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #57  
I have the Kawsaki 4010 trans. It's a great work machine. But when you need to chase cows down you may as well run on foot. @ 25 mph, the cows just out run me.
and laugh ! LOL
My next machine will have more speed !

Friend of mine has Kubota, and the thing about it is, being HST, when you let off the gas pedal, it stops. No coasting to a stop, it just stops !

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #58  
Our place is a lot bigger than 22 acres and we have a RZR 900 that is more of an entertainment tool as is the T-Rex. Neither are very user friendly to work on and both have little plastic “beds”, have doors/seating positions that make getting in and out more effort. The Ranger has a bit bigger bed, is smaller and more maneuverable. The 4010 and 3010 Mules are more work horses. The trans mule looses bed space in front/rear seat configuration but you can fold up the rear seats and have the bigger bed, when you need the space for work and your help abandons you.

They are also limited to ~25 mph, so if you have faster “Toys” around, they get torn up instead of the one you need to work with.

Also, if you are chasing your cows around, you are doing it wrong. Feed them range cubes from a 5 gallon bucket. Next time you want them somewhere get that bucket and put anything in it that will make noise, rocks work fine. Drive to where they are and shake the bucket, as they are running towards you, drive to the location you want them to be at. Yeah, not as fun as running them around with your new machine but you can work smart or hard…

What is your intended use?

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase #59  
I have the Kawsaki 4010 trans. It's a great work machine. But when you need to chase cows down you may as well run on foot. @ 25 mph, the cows just out run me.
and laugh ! LOL
My next machine will have more speed !

Friend of mine has Kubota, and the thing about it is, being HST, when you let off the gas pedal, it stops. No coasting to a stop, it just stops !
The stopping part is the reason we went HST for the tree farm and capped top speed…

/ Farm UTV/RTV Purchase
Recommending what you use for steep hills...or mucky terrain...or handling in narrow and tight spaces...or rocky terrain...etc etc. may not necessarily help the OP. Pasture with a few trees is a pretty tame environment. But I have not visited north Texas so maybe their pasture land is more challenging than what we have in Michigan.
Nope, not challenging... Not hilly ... just a nice gentle sloped land.