Farmall 140 retro fit power steerung

/ Farmall 140 retro fit power steerung #1  

Barnstormer

Tractor
Farmall 140
Has anybody retro fitted power steering on a Farmall 140. I am looking at an Eaton torque generator supplied by a GM Saginaw power steering pump P style. This unit is installed in the steering shaft and held so iy cannot rotate. Any info, advice etc. would be welcome. Thanks

/ Farmall 140 retro fit power steerung #2  
i've seen similar on an M

/ Farmall 140 retro fit power steerung #3  
That sure looks like it would work just fine if your existing gearbox is in good shape.

If you have access to a good junkyard, look at the power steering unit on an Olds Firenza. It bolts to the firewall and has two steering rods that run to each tire. By the way your steering is designed on your 140, it would tuck under your hood, fitted in front of your axle and both steering rods would bolt up to the Firenza steering unit. Then you need the pump and reservoir. The Firenza pump is small and easily fitted into your belt system on your 140. It may not (probably won't) have the V-belt pulley but you can buy the right pully and have it pressed on. Really small neat looking pump. And then use a reservoir off of an older Nissan pickup (90's), again, small and neat. If money is no problem, what you are looking at will work fine.

I was looking at changing one of my tractors over and had free access to a buddies lot of older towed cars he ended up with. That Firenza unit was what I was considering because parts were free. But it looks so perfect for what you are doing if you have access and want to go the cheaper route.

The steering rod (coming from steering wheel) will be on the wrong side of the unit but the unit is sealed, no problem in flipping it over to get the connecting point on the other side to easily match up to your tractors existing steering rod. May have to add a u-joint to conecct it together..

Any of the older front wheel drive GM cars probably have the same steering unit on them. Check them out before you buy your parts.

/ Farmall 140 retro fit power steerung
Thanks for the info Artist. I am committed to the Eaton toque generator as I did not want to miss the deal. I have already installed it and was very simple. Just picked the best location , cut out 9 inches of steering shaft and install torque generator with solid coupling at input end and U joint at out put end and fabricate a hold down. Next job will be to get and install P/S pump and plumb them up. A friend has a GM Saginaw P type P/S pump that I can have at the best price ever Free. Hopefully it is useable. I will have to check the output pressure as the Eaton has a limit of 1000 PSI max . Research says that the pressure on these pumps can be adjusted by removing or adding shim washers to the pump internal releif valve if required. I will post some pictures in the next week or so . I have to get it done before grass cutting season starts as this is the 140 main job. I cut about 10 acres of grass with a Woods belly mower mounted and it is the perfect set up for me. Thanks again Barnstormer.

Some pictures of the Eaton torque generator power steering install on my 140. It works better than I expected. I adjusted the pressure on the GM Saginae pump to 750 PSI and increased the GPM as per instructions on the web.I have about $500 invested $400 for Eaton unit Saginaw P style pump free,$50 for hoses and fittings $20for new belt etc. Very easy install only mistake i made was not trying on hood before fabricating every thing sooooo had to cut the hood to clear the pump. Next time i would movethe pump and generator lower and closer to the engine which would allow the hood to clear. If any info reqd. post here and I will pass on what I can. This install can be easly adapted to any application where you have access to the steering shaft . The unit is approx. 9 inches long and 3.5 inches in dia. plus hyd hose access. As can be seen my welding leaves a bit to be desired but the xtra weight helps traction.

Attachments

• DSCF0792.jpg
    DSCF0792.jpg
    831.9 KB · Views: 975
  • DSCF0791.jpg
    DSCF0791.jpg
    830.3 KB · Views: 1,006
  • DSCF0790.jpg
    DSCF0790.jpg
    894.2 KB · Views: 648
  • DSCF0789.jpg
    DSCF0789.jpg
    972 KB · Views: 1,330
  • DSCF0788.jpg
    DSCF0788.jpg
    836.3 KB · Views: 1,010
  • DSCF0787.jpg
    DSCF0787.jpg
    1,012.1 KB · Views: 2,158
  • DSCF0786.jpg
    DSCF0786.jpg
    1,006.9 KB · Views: 586
  • DSCF0785.jpg
    DSCF0785.jpg
    921.6 KB · Views: 668
   / Farmall 140 retro fit power steerung #6  
Nice job on the conversion. But two questions (1) why didn't you use the tractor hydraulics to power the Eaton and (2) why do you need the universal joint? It seems like it wouldn't be needed.
Thanks

/ Farmall 140 retro fit power steerung #7  
nice looking build either way though. :)

Nice job on the conversion. But two questions (1) why didn't you use the tractor hydraulics to power the Eaton and (2) why do you need the universal joint? It seems like it wouldn't be needed.
Thanks

Thanks for tne compliment. To answer your questions. J didnt use the tractor hydraulics because the Eaton unit has a max pressure rating of 1000 PSI and the on board hyd. runs much higher than 1000 PSI so I would have had to install a pressure regulator to lower the pressure. Also the main reason for the power steering was to make steering with the front end loader on easier. With the loader on the hyd. was already marginal depending where the depth control is set. Originally I had the Eaton unit installed with solid couplings but due to slight misalighnment there was binding in the steering shaft at the upper support of the shaft which caused the Eaton unit to sense a turning input and would turn the steering without an actual steering input. The solution was to install the U joint and let the Eaton unit float slightly where the anti torque bracket bolts to the tractor and all is well. More accurate welding to ensure that the solid couplings where concentric with the steering shaft would have prevented the problem in the first place but welding is mynot strong point. All in all it has been extremely successful almost to successful and I am going to fine tune pressure and flow in the pump to reduce the assist to give more feedback. Hope that answers your questions feel free to ask whatever. This install was very easy and well worth it. Barnstormer

/ Farmall 140 retro fit power steerung #9  
Thanks. That makes sense.