Farmtrac PTO lever frozen

/ Farmtrac PTO lever frozen #1  

citytransplant

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 270DTC
My Farmtrac 270DTC PTO lever is stuck in the disengaged position and now my brand new 5' Bush Hog Razorback rotary cutter sits idle.

See "parts/repair" thread, title "PTO lever frozen" for further elaboration and real sexy pics.

Best to all.

/ Farmtrac PTO lever frozen #2  

trac

Gold Member
Tractor
Long 530, 2360, 360,2310, Ford 641, 8N, 2N
This is not an uncommon problem. The oring that seals the transmission oil from leaking out was located to far in, thus allowing moisture and rust to form on the piviot area of the shaft and housing. Moisture will not enter the inside, so don't worry about that. Locate where the lever piviots in the transmission housing, and spray it with a good quality penatrating oil. We use the Castle liquid torch, but any good grade will do. Let it soak for a while and spray again.After moving the lever to free up, spray with a good lubricating oil. Do this every few months and this should take care of the problem. Trac.

/ Farmtrac PTO lever frozen
OP
C

citytransplant

Silver Member
Tractor
Farmtrac 270DTC
You described exactly what the problem was and penetrating oil is exactly what I used to unfreeze the lever. Can this oil, or silicone spray, or WD40 be harmful to the O-ring?

/ Farmtrac PTO lever frozen #4  

trac

Gold Member
Tractor
Long 530, 2360, 360,2310, Ford 641, 8N, 2N
Dry rust is no good on any piviot area. lube oil will not harm the material the o-ring is made of. Once the lever is use for a while, it should be fine. Glad I could be of help . Feel free to ask any other questions, we'll all here to help each other
trac