Fatal Log Skidder Accident - Oregon

/ Fatal Log Skidder Accident - Oregon #1  

Diggin It

Super Star Member
Tractor
LS MT125 TLBM
County worker died using a faulty logging skidder owned by his supervisor's son
Oregonian|46 minutes ago
CORVALLIS (AP) A Benton County road worker who died on the job was operating a poorly maintained piece of leased logging equipment that was owned by his supervisor's son, according to findings from two investigations. Pete Neuman, 59, was using a John Deere skidder to move logs at the site of a road-building project in the Hells Canyon ...

------------------------------------

/ Fatal Log Skidder Accident - Oregon #2  
Wow, a sad story.

/ Fatal Log Skidder Accident - Oregon
I'm guessing the lawyers will be busy .....

"An internal review by the county and an investigation by the Benton County Sheriff’s Office found that there were numerous safety issues with the skidder, including frequent stalling, brake failures, bald rear tires and a jury-rigged seat belt.

Investigators also determined that Jim Stouder, the longtime head of the county road department, had approved a rental agreement for the skidder that paid his son, Charlie Stouder, more than $7,000."
"The skidder was obtained through Jackson Luck Enterprises, a Corvallis excavation company that has a yearly materials and services contract with the county.

But Jackson Luck didn’t own the skidder. Charlie Stouder did.

In his own interviews with investigators, records show, Jim Stouder explained that skidders can be hard to find and aren’t readily available to rent. When it came time to line up equipment for the Starr Creek-Hells Canyon job, he set up a three-way deal involving the county, Jackson Luck and his son.

“(Jim) Stouder said he knew Charlie Stouder had a skidder,” a sheriff’s deputy wrote in his report, “so he got Charlie Stouder and Jackson Luck in contact with each other.”"
It gets better as you read further:

Death at Hells Canyon | Local | gazettetimes.com

/ Fatal Log Skidder Accident - Oregon #4  
Killed by an old piece of JUNK! I was also on a steep hill years ago with a 24,000# ZOOM BOOM. It stalled and I had one operation of the brake pedal and nothing after that. The PARKING brake did not work. Not much steering without the engine running either. Fortunately, I had a place to drive, although I ran over some equipment before it stopped. I repaired the Parking Brake after that!

/ Fatal Log Skidder Accident - Oregon #5  
Will the county taxpayers be the ones that ultimately pay for these sweet deals?

/ Fatal Log Skidder Accident - Oregon #6  
Will the county taxpayers be the ones that ultimately pay for these sweet deals?

They always are, one way or another.

/ Fatal Log Skidder Accident - Oregon #7  
The skidder was rented from the individual through a third party rental company, so I suspect if an insurance claim is filed it will encompass the owner of the skidder, his father supervising the project, the company which acted as a conduit to the rental and the town.

/ Fatal Log Skidder Accident - Oregon #8  
The 3rd party (that had a contract with the jurisdiction) acted as a rental agent yet never laid eyes on the piece of equipment THEY were renting out. Their own insurance is going to have to pay up (and better settle early).

/ Fatal Log Skidder Accident - Oregon #9  
Sad situation indeed. Probably an experienced enough operator and a manager looking to make a buck for his family. It is sometimes hard to find just the right piece of equipment at the rental yard but that does not excuse using sub-standard and unsafe equipment. I would expect a lot of explaining to be done by every person connected with that tragic event. If it were to make it to court I would think there will be plenty of fault assessed to every party involved.

/ Fatal Log Skidder Accident - Oregon #10  
I knew the guy. Know the family. I know some of the situation.He was ajay' squared away equipment operator all his life, growing up in a family of many, who operated a local quarry. He was the best. The problem is that he figured being the best, he should run the POS cull and it cost him. The poop chute deal with JL being the intermediary on the rental supply is a factor that will have to be dealt with. That is addition to the father and son sweetheart good old boy network deal If he had a seat belt on, likely he would have survived but beat up. It's one event of overwhelming sadness in this community.

Go to the end of the Corvallis Gazette Times article online and download the PDF's from initial inquiries. It aint over til its over.