Favorite Boots Coming Apart

N80

Tractor
Kubota L4400 4wd w/LA 703 FEL
I have a pair of Meindl 10" hunting boots which are the best boots I have ever owned and possibly the most comfortable footwear I've ever owned. I don't know how old they are but no more than 5 years old and have not seen particularly hard use......although I may have done some shovel work in them a time or two. But, now the soles are peeling off. They are not traditional sewn on soles but are the pressed/glued on type that comes up onto the sides of the boot a little ways. See picture below:

6610-181274

I have contacted Meindl and will wait to hear from them. But I do not see anything on their web site about repair services. I am disappointed that such an expensive boot has not held up, but at the same time in terms of fit, comfort, performance, design (the lacing system is amazing), warmth, waterproof etc they are simply stellar. So I'd be willing to spend some money to get them properly repaired.

So my question is, is it possible to re-sole a boot like this? Have any of you ever had a boot like this re-soled and if so, by whom and how did they turn out?

Any info much appreciated.

P.S.: I tried re-gluing them with special (and expensive) glue made for this purpose when the soles started to come loose. It worked for a few months.

OP
N80

N80

Tractor
Nevermind. I just removed the rubber soles that were peeling away and the rubber bed underneath is crumbling away. These cannot be repaired.

Sad. And I doubt I'll buy another pair of Meindls. $325 and only last 5 years of fairly infrequent use is unacceptable. My previous Brownings lasted nearly 10 years of harder use. I'm hunting in that pair now. They're not waterproof anymore and they are not as supportive but still warm and usable.

These were "Cabelas by Meindl" and some say the Cabelas ones were not made as well as "actual" Meindls but on the tag inside the tongue mine say "Meindl made in Germany". So if Meindl made a lesser product for the US market through Cabelas I see that as a prime way to ruin your reputation.

Roadworthy

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501 HST,
I don't know who's good and who's not but if you're looking for a well made boot consider shopping at Home. Another good one is West Coast Shoe Company. These are quality boots which really can be rebuilt. They even do custom fitting is you wish.

• Good Post
Reactions: N80

jaxs

Elite Member
Tractor
841 ford,MF65,Cub Lowboy,,Ford 600
Your experience with those boots is exactly what I have experienced with Wolverine Boots with Durashock soles. The material simply deterorates in a few years whether you wear them or not. I can't complain because heel spurs in both feet went away shortly after I started wearing them and never returned in over 15 years and a few pairs. I no longer wear them after retireing and not on my feet all day.

OP
N80

N80

Tractor
I'm going to attempt the repair myself. Nothing to lose at this point. Will get both surfaces clean. Get boots warmed up. A few globs of Shoe Goo where the rubber is deteriorating and then contact cement everywhere else and then tape them up to hold everything in place. Will probably take four hands so I'll get my wife to help.

If I could get through a few more months with them I'd consider it a win.

Torvy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Looking to purchase a Compact Tractor in 30-50 HP range.
I can't complain because heel spurs in both feet went away shortly after I started wearing them and never returned...
That's medical miracle! I have heel spurs on both feet. They are bony protrusions and they can be removed surgically. My treatment has been stretching and wearing better shoes. That just makes the tendons and ligaments around them more flexible and less likely to get inflamed and cause pain.

I think I know what you meant, though. I am hoping to find good boots to wear given my high arches and heel spurs.

Egon

Epic Contributor
Use Lepage's x 8 construction glue. Make sure it is spread even and stays even while clamped.

MossRoad

Old Timer
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
I'm going to attempt the repair myself. Nothing to lose at this point. Will get both surfaces clean. Get boots warmed up. A few globs of Shoe Goo where the rubber is deteriorating and then contact cement everywhere else and then tape them up to hold everything in place. Will probably take four hands so I'll get my wife to help.

My mom invested heavily in shoe goo. She had 5 kids. Shoes were expensive. I remember being teased by kids at school because my shoes were so bad and crappy looking. But I have fond memories of me and mom gooping up the shoes and laughing about it. :)

k0ua

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kioti DK35se Hydrostat
Yup, been the shoe goo route too! Worked surprisingly well for a temporary fix.
I shoe goo'd a pair of cheap pair of shoes that the soles started to come off of . They lasted several years. I could not believe how well this "goo" actually worked.

SARG

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH T1030- NH T1530 - 49G Brockway
Just to mention for those that have experienced the Bates or Wolverine ( same company ) Duroshock sole issues that jaxs mentioned i.e. them falling apart & becoming "gummy". I've had two pair replaced by Bates. They require pictures but are easy to work with.

oldballs

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2620 , Case 448 , Kubota B2650
I just took a pair of Georgia Boots (steel toe) to the local shoe cobbler. They have lots of miles on them but the Vibram sole was coming off. The guy charged me $25 to reglue. Well, he did a crappy job....the heel of one boot had no glue . So, today I'll be wearing them with some JB Weld that I smeared in and put the dang things in my machinist vise for a couple days.:mad:

Snobdds

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF gc1710, Cat 305C
Repairable boots need a welt. Boots that have a glue on sole with a molded sole are consumable boots. Once their done, they're done.

Boots with full grain leather and a welt are more expensive, but the cost is spread over a much longer period if they are resoled.

I have never worn out a good pair of upper leathers on a boot. I have worn out multiple boots because of a worn out sole.

OP
N80

N80

Tractor
Repairable boots need a welt. Boots that have a glue on sole with a molded sole are consumable boots. Once their done, they're done.

Boots with full grain leather and a welt are more expensive, but the cost is spread over a much longer period if they are resoled.

I have never worn out a good pair of upper leathers on a boot. I have worn out multiple boots because of a worn out sole.

My Brownings are traditional welt design and a local cobbler was able to resole them. But, they are now 15 years old, got much heavier use and the uppers are pretty much shot.

I contacted Meindl USA about my boots. They said they have no repair facilities in the US. They referred me to Dave Page Cobbler in Seattle. His website says they repair molded sole boots and shoes and that is their specialty. I sent pictures and asked for an estimate.

If they can't do it I'll give it a try myself.

ROUSTABOUT

Veteran Member
Tractor
Pettibone, Ford, Massey Ferguson, International, JD, David Bradley, home mades
I'm hard on boots so I repair often. SIKAFLEX tube caulk will hold a complete sole on a boot. NP-1 is next in line. I mean it will stay until the boots are gone.

Snobdds

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF gc1710, Cat 305C
My Brownings are traditional welt design and a local cobbler was able to resole them. But, they are now 15 years old, got much heavier use and the uppers are pretty much shot.

I contacted Meindl USA about my boots. They said they have no repair facilities in the US. They referred me to Dave Page Cobbler in Seattle. His website says they repair molded sole boots and shoes and that is their specialty. I sent pictures and asked for an estimate.

If they can't do it I'll give it a try myself.

Did not know there was someone who did that. Let us know the price and if they do good work. I have a few boots that could use a new molded sole.

Tomtint

Elite Member
Tractor
L3700SU

Go get a tube of Dow 995 and lay it in there like cake frosting ...it will NEVER come undone.

OP
N80

N80

Tractor
Did not know there was someone who did that. Let us know the price and if they do good work. I have a few boots that could use a new molded sole.
There is a video about how he got started on their web page. Worth a look. Just search "Dave Page Cobbler". Their personal take on people's favorite boots is interesting and accurate. I've had plenty of junk boots but the good ones I'll never forget. Okay, I'll never forget some of the bad ones either.

jaxs

Elite Member
Tractor
841 ford,MF65,Cub Lowboy,,Ford 600
That's medical miracle! I have heel spurs on both feet. They are bony protrusions and they can be removed surgically. My treatment has been stretching and wearing better shoes. That just makes the tendons and ligaments around them more flexible and less likely to get inflamed and cause pain.

I think I know what you meant, though. I am hoping to find good boots to wear given my high arches and heel spurs.

I think it was a miracle considering time and expense I was facing if getting surgery. That's why I chalked it up as a win and bought more without complaining. A trucker friend turned me on to the boots after they relieved his heel spurs. Two people I told about the boots also got relief so I suggest giving them a try. The first postive sign I noticed was less pain after about a month when first getting out of bed. Some where between 6 months and a year I zero discomfort.

OP
N80

N80

Tractor
I heard back immediately from Dave Page (always a good sign). He will do a complete "re-bottom" and re-sole for $125. Since the uppers are in good shape and a new pair of comparable boots would be well over $350 I am going to give it a shot.

Snobdds

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF gc1710, Cat 305C
I heard back immediately from Dave Page (always a good sign). He will do a complete "re-bottom" and re-sole for $125. Since the uppers are in good shape and a new pair of comparable boots would be well over $350 I am going to give it a shot.
That is a good price...let us know how it goes and definitely post some before and after pictures so we can see the quality.

• Good Post

gsganzer

Veteran Member
Tractor
L3800 w/FEL and BH77, BX 2200 w/FEL and MMM
I've had good luck with Lowa and Zamberlan. Both are pricey, but well worth it.

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
There is a video about how he got started on their web page. Worth a look. Just search "Dave Page Cobbler". Their personal take on people's favorite boots is interesting and accurate. I've had plenty of junk boots but the good ones I'll never forget. Okay, I'll never forget some of the bad ones either.
Yes, he is well known around these parts! Lot's of hikers/climbers get referred to him by places like REI Co-op. Don't know if you know REI but they are legendary outdoors equipment store that originated in Seattle back in the 1930s. I buy my boots and shoes there... great quality and service.

OP
N80

N80

Tractor
There is an REI store not too far from me. Have heard great things about their service and products. Have never shopped there since my needs are more for a hunting boot than a hiking or snow boot.....but in reality there is probably a lot of crossover in terms of features and design.

jyoutz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX6000
Nevermind. I just removed the rubber soles that were peeling away and the rubber bed underneath is crumbling away. These cannot be repaired.

Sad. And I doubt I'll buy another pair of Meindls. $325 and only last 5 years of fairly infrequent use is unacceptable. My previous Brownings lasted nearly 10 years of harder use. I'm hunting in that pair now. They're not waterproof anymore and they are not as supportive but still warm and usable.

These were "Cabelas by Meindl" and some say the Cabelas ones were not made as well as "actual" Meindls but on the tag inside the tongue mine say "Meindl made in Germany". So if Meindl made a lesser product for the US market through Cabelas I see that as a prime way to ruin your reputation.
The best boots made are whites handmade boots. They are 100% rebuildable. They are also made to order for your foot. I’m a forester and wear them in rough conditions frequently. One pair of whites lasts me 20 years and I get them resoled twice during that time.

hslogger

Platinum Member
Tractor
currently l4400 stick
Nicks' boots USA
White's Boots USA
Viberg Canada
Drew's boots USA
Anything else is a throway these days.

OP
N80

N80

Tractor
My son in law is a surveyor. He wears Meindls every day and has for years. He swears by them and most of his crew and his brother’s crew wear them as well. The ones they wear are nearly $400 but they are uninsulated. The company pays for theirs. I need at least 400g Thinsulate or equivalent for winter boots. It doesn’t get that cold down here but if it’s below freezing and I’m sitting still deer hunting my feet get cold with anything less.

jyoutz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX6000
You are right.... I just never could get a good fit with their off the rack boots. The other guys measure and build to order. Totally custom if you want them.
I have always bought Whites during my entire 40 year forestry career. They have my foot measurements and just make my boots to fit perfectly. The boots are the best fitting and longest lasting boots I have ever had. If you oil them regularly, you can get 20 years from them with a couple of re-soling. When you look at it long term, $500 for these boots is a bargain. Especially since the fit cannot be beat.

PILOON

Super Star Member
Tractor
MT180D
Don't laugh.

I've repaired a couple of boots using urethane construction caulking.
(actually Flextra brand) and they stayed well glued.
Flextra is about the same as windshield adhesive, only cheaper and comes in long caulking gun tubes.

In the past I had glue patched some holes in a metal roof that way and later tried to remove that patch.
Only pulling with vice grips and slicing with a sharp blade did the trick.

hslogger

Platinum Member
Tractor
currently l4400 stick
I have always bought Whites during my entire 40 year forestry career. They have my foot measurements and just make my boots to fit perfectly. The boots are the best fitting and longest lasting boots I have ever had. If you oil them regularly, you can get 20 years from them with a couple of re-soling. When you look at it long term, $500 for these boots is a bargain. Especially since the fit cannot be beat.
For decades I had a guy in Portland Oregon make my boots, John Newberry. He learned at Whites, then struck out on his own. I think he made me five pair of work boots, I still have a pair of dress boots, all lace ups. He died and so I went to get a pair of Whites. They made me two pair that came back WRONG, I couldn't believe it. The agent I was dealing with in Eugene Oregon, was dismayed and sent my measurements to Nick. He made me two pair, nothing short of outstanding. These will go with me to my grave.

If you are gonna lay out that kind of dough for boots, measured for YOU is the way to go. Toes fit, ankles fit, each foot and leg is slightly different. Their's no substitution for quality. Like Filson says,"you might as well have the best"

jyoutz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX6000
For decades I had a guy in Portland Oregon make my boots, John Newberry. He learned at Whites, then struck out on his own. I think he made me five pair of work boots, I still have a pair of dress boots, all lace ups. He died and so I went to get a pair of Whites. They made me two pair that came back WRONG, I couldn't believe it. The agent I was dealing with in Eugene Oregon, was dismayed and sent my measurements to Nick. He made me two pair, nothing short of outstanding. These will go with me to my grave.

If you are gonna lay out that kind of dough for boots, measured for YOU is the way to go. Toes fit, ankles fit, each foot and leg is slightly different. Their's no substitution for quality. Like Filson says,"you might as well have the best"
Whites will always make things right. They have never failed me. You should have called them to speak with repairs. They are good about remaking or modifying boots until they are perfect. And for no additional charge. But I agree that Nick’s also make good boots. Lots of people like them.

hslogger

Platinum Member
Tractor
currently l4400 stick
Whites will always make things right. They have never failed me. You should have called them to speak with repairs. They are good about remaking or modifying boots until they are perfect. And for no additional charge. But I agree that Nick’s also make good boots. Lots of people like them.
I would have enjoyed them making it right, but after having them send me one pair, sending them back, sending me another pair, sending them back, I got frustrated enough, politely said, to forget them. Some one in their mfg chain royally screwed up, First pair I waited two months for, second pair, another seven weeks. Nicks got me the first pair in six weeks and I liked them so much I ordered another pair two years later.. I know the White's reputation, but enough was enough.

jyoutz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX6000
I would have enjoyed them making it right, but after having them send me one pair, sending them back, sending me another pair, sending them back, I got frustrated enough, politely said, to forget them. Some one in their mfg chain royally screwed up, First pair I waited two months for, second pair, another seven weeks. Nicks got me the first pair in six weeks and I liked them so much I ordered another pair two years later.. I know the White's reputation, but enough was enough.
That’s too bad. My experience has always been quick and extraordinary. If you deal with them again, talk with Mike in repairs.

OP
N80

N80

Tractor
That is a good price...let us know how it goes and definitely post some before and after pictures so we can see the quality.
Got the boots back. Very pleased. Here are the before pictures:

IMG_2276.jpg
IMG_2278.jpg

As you can see the area under the rubber sole is totally shot and falling apart. This was a common issue for the Cabela's version of these expensive Meindl boots.

Here are the after photos:

IMG_2301.jpg
IMG_2300.jpg
IMG_2302.jpg

Vibram soles, which I prefer.

The cost was $145 from Dave Page Cobbler. That included a an $8 option for waxing them (a bottle of the wax came with the boots too) and $13 shipping back to me. It cost me around $20 to ship to them which is what pushes the cost very close to being too much. $165 to refurb a $325 pair of boots is a questionable decision.

Several things make the decision worth it to me. First, these boots are the most comfortable footwear I have ever owned. They are still warm and still waterproof. Second, the lacing system is perfect. The best I've ever seen. Easy on, easy off, easy to get just right. Third, I like doing business with people like Dave Page. He contacted me personally when I emailed him and he sent updates regarding the order status. His is a small business, based in the US, great attitude, helpful and attentive and seems to do good work.

Of course, the proof will be in the pudding. If the repair lasts I will consider this a good if not great investment. If they don't last, well, live and learn.

Super Star Member
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
Never had an issue with my Meindl's but then I only wear them when hunting and change the foot beds yearly too. Excellent boots, good side support too. Just as good as Kennetrecs and less expensive to boot (pun intended).

OP
N80

N80

Tractor
Never had an issue with my Meindl's but then I only wear them when hunting and change the foot beds yearly too. Excellent boots, good side support too. Just as good as Kennetrecs and less expensive to boot (pun intended).
I've heard that it was only the ones branded by Cabelas that had this issue. I imagine Cabelas contracted for a lower spec but I can't prove that. Meindl no longer makes boots for Cabelas. I think doing so damaged their reputation a little. Other than the issue I had, these Meindls are still the best boots I've ever owned.

bmg88201

Silver Member
Tractor
JD X300
Buy a pair of Red Wings and be done with it. They wear like iron but a little pricey. Plus it’s getting harder and harder to find a cobbler and more, it’s a lost trade.

OP
N80

N80

Tractor
Buy a pair of Red Wings and be done with it. They wear like iron but a little pricey. Plus it’s getting harder and harder to find a cobbler and more, it’s a lost trade.
Agree in general about the cobbler but Dave Page seems to be the real deal. The quality of the repair on my boots could not appear any better. Looks like brand new.

RandyT

Veteran Member
Tractor
KIOTI DK45S
Never could get more than 6 months out of a pair of redwings. My local dealer had to replace my first three pair under warranty because the soles would come off with 2 months. Get longer wear out of cheap Walmart Brahma boots.

bmg88201

Silver Member
Tractor
JD X300
I’m lucky I have a cobbler about 18 miles away, he does good work. He just resoled a pair of Tony Lama’s for me. He looks like he just left Woodstock, lol But is really nice and proficient.

OP
N80

N80

Tractor
I’m lucky I have a cobbler about 18 miles away, he does good work. He just resoled a pair of Tony Lama’s for me. He looks like he just left Woodstock, lol But is really nice and proficient.
That’s funny, in the video on the Dave Page website his cobblers pretty much look like hippies. More power to them if they are doing what they like and doing it well.

Snobdds

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF gc1710, Cat 305C
Got the boots back. Very pleased. Here are the before pictures:

View attachment 725447View attachment 725448

As you can see the area under the rubber sole is totally shot and falling apart. This was a common issue for the Cabela's version of these expensive Meindl boots.

Here are the after photos:

View attachment 725449View attachment 725450View attachment 725451

Vibram soles, which I prefer.

The cost was $145 from Dave Page Cobbler. That included a an $8 option for waxing them (a bottle of the wax came with the boots too) and $13 shipping back to me. It cost me around $20 to ship to them which is what pushes the cost very close to being too much. $165 to refurb a $325 pair of boots is a questionable decision.

Several things make the decision worth it to me. First, these boots are the most comfortable footwear I have ever owned. They are still warm and still waterproof. Second, the lacing system is perfect. The best I've ever seen. Easy on, easy off, easy to get just right. Third, I like doing business with people like Dave Page. He contacted me personally when I emailed him and he sent updates regarding the order status. His is a small business, based in the US, great attitude, helpful and attentive and seems to do good work.

Of course, the proof will be in the pudding. If the repair lasts I will consider this a good if not great investment. If they don't last, well, live and learn.

Thanks for the update. That turnaround time was quick. I am shocked they do the molded and glued soles, but glad they do. I have a pair of old Scarpas that need the same treatment.

Hope they work for you again for another 10 years.

• Good Post

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
Yep, in these days of a disposable society, nice to see a refurb vs. a trashing. (y)

• Good Post