Feed fluid to remotes from FEL supply

/ Feed fluid to remotes from FEL supply #1  

rslee

Tractor
MF 255
I have a MF 255 with a Freeman 3000 FEL. I'm running a TS300 diverter valve off the top of the housing to feed the FEL. The loader has a dual spool Gresen valve, but can't see a model number. The previous owner pulled the supply to the single spool for a single set of rear remotes, and I need to add them back. As far as I can tell, there is no PB option from the FEL spool. I'm relatively new to tractors and hydraulics. The TS300 has another port currently not in use that is just for a push-only cylinder, which I don't know if it would work for the remotes. Would the push-only port work to power the rear remotes? Can I put a tee in the FEL's supply line to plumb the rear remotes, and then plumb a tee from the rear outlet line back into the return line going back to the tank? That would charge both spool valves to be operational when needed without having to mess with a PB option. Advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I don't want to screw something up, but would like to use a post driver on the rear remotes to do some fencing this summer.

/ Feed fluid to remotes from FEL supply #2  
Find out if your tractor's hydraulics are OPEN or Closed center. Most are open but some JD's are closed.

If your system is open center, you cannot use Tee's in the supply line to feed another hydraulic system. In an open Center, the fluid will take the path of least resistance and not build up pressure.

A tee in the return to TANK is possible if done with some knowledge.

How many lines connect to the Gresen Loader valve? 6 or 7. 7 means it has a power beyond circuit.

Dave M7040

/ Feed fluid to remotes from FEL supply
I’m not sure if it’s open or closed. There is a single line running from the TS300 to the loader valve inlet. Out of the Gresen dual spool valve I have 2 lines going to the bucket for tilt, and a single line going to the lift arms that has a tee to split right and left arms. There is a port on the spool valve that is not being used that’s on the side with the line going to the lift arms. There is a return to tank line coming out of the side of the valve that runs back into the tank through the TS300 valve.

/ Feed fluid to remotes from FEL supply #4  
Your Massey will be an open center hydraulic system.
From your description it sounds like your loader does not have a power down, power up and gravity down and the bucket curl has power to dump and power to curl back.

From an ad for a TS300 diverter valve;
"One New Aftermarket Replacement Selector / Isolator Assembly that Fits Massey Ferguson Tractor models: 1080 Tractors, without Individual External Hydraulic Systems.

Three-position spool, forward position allows one-way (push) for single acting cylinder.

Center position allows operation of the 3-point arms, & the rear position will feed power to a 4-way control valve for two-way (push-pull) operation of double acting cylinder.

Fits all MF Tractors where 182373M1 Lift Cover is used."

Replaces Part Number: TS300

To add a valve for additional two way hydraulics I would get a valve with the number of spools that I desired with a power beyond port.
To plumb it simply remove the line going to your loader valve use that port for your new valves pressure in, connect your loader valve to the new valves power beyond port, tee the new valves return into the loader valve return

Thanks Lou. You described my setup perfectly. I have power dump and power curl on the bucket, but only power lift on the arms with gravity dump. Swapping the order of valves sounds like the easiest solution. The single spool valve hanging on the fender may or may not function properly. The inlet and outlet have been left open to moisture and whatever else. Not sure I trust it without cleaning it thoroughly. Good reason to swap it out. I could buy a 2 spool and run 2 banks of remotes instead of my current 1. Is there anything specific I need to know before purchasing the valve for the rear? Flow rate on the hydraulics is 10 gpm and a flow pressure of 2300 psi according to the data sheet.

/ Feed fluid to remotes from FEL supply #6  
As long as the valve is rated for 10 gpm or close to it you should be good,
I wouldn't recommend a 5gpm valve or a 20 gpm.
A two spool with the float function in one spool would be nice.

Just curious. What application would the float function on the rear remotes allow for? I believe the float on a FEL allows for backdragging gravel and dirt.

/ Feed fluid to remotes from FEL supply #8  
It would allow any cylinder connected to that spool to "float" while in the float position.
Many implements may have a single action cylinder which lowers nicely for ground following applications,
also a 2way cylinder can be floated. Many sickle bar mowers and trailered implements such as disk will use float
My back blade has hydraulic tilt and angle I some times use float on the tilt when doing very light grading and often when plowing snow.
Some people will float a hydraulic top link at times.
It also allows the pressure in a cylinder to be equalized prior to disconnecting it which may make it much easier to reconnect.

Great info. Much appreciated. I was online earlier looking at Summit 2 spool valves with 1 and 2 floats. $189 vs $224. Might be worth $35 to have the float option for both sets of remotes. I currently have very basic implements for this old tractor with no rear remote requirements, but plan to use the county’s seed drill and maybe a post driver for fence installation. Always good to have options.

/ Feed fluid to remotes from FEL supply #10  
That would work,
I would be tempted with 2 remotes to have one with float and the other with detents.
A detented valve is handy if you ever have something with a hydraulic motor on it,
or an implement with it's own valves.
Fire wood s[litters or processors, augers ect,
Our post driver has it's own valve mounted on it, so it's either use a detented valve,
or a bungie cord or make it a 2 person job.