Feral Hogs Moving North...

/ Feral Hogs Moving North... #2  
I read a story in an AG paper I get about them moving south from Canada into Montana and the measures MT was taking. That was a big surprise to me.

/ Feral Hogs Moving North... #3  
^^^
According to the article they were introduced to Canada for hunting about 30-40 years ago. It didn't take long for them to take hold.

/ Feral Hogs Moving North... #4  
That's great! Pretty soon I'll have something else to kill beside deer.....I like bbq!

/ Feral Hogs Moving North... #5  
That's great! Pretty soon I'll have something else to kill beside deer.....I like bbq!

I don't think your brand of BBQ and wild pig BBQ is the same thing. Besides, they carry infectious disease. Eating one can infect you. They are here in Michigan though not in great numbers yet and I have not seen any around here but be apprised, if I do, I''ll shoot them on sight just liker the song dogs I see. Got a nice 22-250 with a night vision scope on it just for predators. Good thing about shooting yotes is, the rest of the pack will eat the dead ones. Self cleanup. Not sure if pigs do that.

/ Feral Hogs Moving North... #6  
^^^^^
Pigs will eat anything, as stated in the article. The domestic type has been known to dispose of murder evidence- AKA bodies.
Wild pig is considered good eating in places where they are common. Still, they do more damage than any hunting opportunity is worth.

/ Feral Hogs Moving North... #7  
Had a bunch of them tearing up my yard a couple of years back. We trapped a half dozen or so before they moved on. Turned out one of my neighbors had a deer feeder right below my property spewing out corn twice a day.

Been fighting armadillos lately. They tear up the yard almost as bad.

/ Feral Hogs Moving North... #8  
On my first trip to Florida I noticed that the dead possums in the road weren't possums but, armadillos. Now armadillos are common here, they came in about the same time as the coyotes.

/ Feral Hogs Moving North... #10  
Wild pigs are delicious! Like any pork they need to be cooked well. At least the sows taste good. The bores get to stinking above 60-80 pounds. Little ones are good, just put an apple in their mouth. LOL. The first one I cooked was small enough to fit in a turkey pan. Larger sows we use a meat saw and make pork chops and ham steaks. With 50-80 a year we usually only take the pork loins and toss the rest for the yotes. I think the only way we can control the wild pigs and Asian Carp is to figure out how tasty they are. :licking: