Ferguson TO-30 with a Mid-Western Davis backhoe

/ Ferguson TO-30 with a Mid-Western Davis backhoe #1  

JAcre

Tractor
Ford 1720 4x4, Ford 1520 4x4 with terf tires, Massy Ferguson TO-30 with reversed FEL and backhoe
Looking for some advice... I'm looking at a Harry Ferguson TO-30 tractor with an aftermarket attachment. The attachment is a Mid-Western Davis backhoe and loader.... Only the backhoe seems to attach to the loader arms. It's a strange contraption but I think it may serve my needs to do some landscaping. I plan on reselling after I'm done with it.
I would like to know more about the tractor... Are they durable? Maintainable? I found the fact,s on it, I would like to hear of some experiences with the TO-30 model.
Also, has anyone seen this type of backhoe before? I hadn't. I will try to attach a picture.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 408
   / Ferguson TO-30 with a Mid-Western Davis backhoe #2  
i have seen tractors with reversed FEL direction before, but that is one heck of a backhoe setup!!

just parts books with some part diagrams... but may help ya...

not sure if below link will take you directly to the parts manual.. if not see further below.
http://www.agcopartsbooks.com/PartsBooksN/Viewer/book.aspx?book=agco/693041

Object moved
click "view books" were it says guests...
type in "30"
select messy ferguson from drop down menu
click search
i am showing a listing at the very bottom of search results...

TO 30 / TO 20 / TE 20 / TEA 20 TRACTOR
Book: 693041 , Category: Parts Books / Tractors / * Ferguson

/ Ferguson TO-30 with a Mid-Western Davis backhoe
Thanks for the link... Looks very informative. I haven't bought it yet, I plan on seeing and hauling it home on Thursday if it checks out. He's asking a good price for it, $2100. How well do the reversed FEL work? He says that he used the backhoe to bury cows, that's about it. I'm told the tractor runs great and all works as it should.
My question, should I invest is such a strange machine? I don't see where I can go wrong for the price. Any experience you can share would be great.

/ Ferguson TO-30 with a Mid-Western Davis backhoe #4  
wow that's odd looking.

um.. a fergy to-30 in running condition should be worth the 2100$. if nothing else. you have that value.. plus probably 1000# of scrap iron.. :)

/ Ferguson TO-30 with a Mid-Western Davis backhoe #5  
It's worth that for a conversation piece, LOL... I'm not seeing any outriggers/stabilizers, but probably hidden by the rear tires. With that much of a high center of gravity, be careful..!!

/ Ferguson TO-30 with a Mid-Western Davis backhoe #6  
reminds me of a muck rake setup for digging out ponds.. or a ditch bank mower or bank scoop for shaping swales. :)

Thanks for all the feedback... It will be quite a machine to have around the property for awhile. I'm planning on some landscape work, perhaps a small fish pond. It does have stabilizers that are vertical on the back end that will lift the tractor, not really outriggers. My property is quite level but thanks for the warning about the high Cg. Storms are coming into MI tonight, so I'm getting it tomorrow night. I'll post some additional pictures once I get it home. I'm wondering how much work it is to swap to the bucket loader. It appears that the bucket cylinders are the swing cylinders on the backhoe. Strange setup but I like that it is "unique".

I went ahead and bought it... The pins are a little loose but I think it will be functional for my needs. I gave it a shower with the pressure washer, now to regrease everything. I'm attaching some pictures of the cleaned-up machine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 441
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 878
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    263.7 KB · Views: 397
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 392
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 217
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 182
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 631
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 564
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    260.4 KB · Views: 346
   / Ferguson TO-30 with a Mid-Western Davis backhoe #9  
a lil loose on pins is no problem for the average homeowner...

/ Ferguson TO-30 with a Mid-Western Davis backhoe #10  
so how do you manage to climb into the seat without being a monkey or acrobat?