filled tires, ez-weights, or 3pt weght????

/ filled tires, ez-weights, or 3pt weght???? #1  

griz

Tractor
Case DX 40 8/1/03
Hello, I am down to the wire and am trying to decide on weather to fill my tires, use ez wieghts, or maybe use a 3pt. weight (boxblade, filled barrel)? I will be doing loader work, brush hog, and general landscaping. My thought was if I don't fill my tires, it may help keep my weight down when traveling on a trailer, but I don't know really how much weight is added when filling tires(Petro-based solution). The tractor I am working on getting is a hydro40 from case/nh. Any help would be great; Thanks, Griz.

/ filled tires, ez-weights, or 3pt weght???? #2  
I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions on this. I have only a couple things I want to mention to you. If you go with some 3PH type of added weight you'll lose that advantage when you're brush hogging or doing about anything with a 3PH attachment though it'll be fine for loader work.

I don't think EZ weights can give you as much added weight as filling your tires can. The flip side is that you don't lose EZ weight when you puncture a tire. It's also easier to add and remove EZ weights than it is to add or remove liquid from tires.

In the final analysis, I'm not giving you any answers here. Rather, I'm trying to give you what I consider to be the pro's and con's of each so you can decide which is more important to you and make your own decision.

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ filled tires, ez-weights, or 3pt weght???? #3  
griz,

Gary gave you some good info. I would highly recommend loading your tires. I never even have to think about whether or not I got enough weight on the back when loading up the FEL. Yes, there always is the possiblity of a leak but so far so good and that hasn't been an issue. If and when I do get a leak I'll refill the tires with water and environmentally friendly antifreeze (although it doesn't freeze much out here) and call it good. I think I read somewhere that my tires filled with calcium chloride and water weigh in at 400 lbs extra. Just slightly less than my box blade. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif There are many articles out here on filling tires and also many good tips on how you can do it yourself very easily. Use the search feature and hunt for that if you decide to go this route. Good luck.

/ filled tires, ez-weights, or 3pt weght???? #4  
I do all three:
Tires loaded with washer fluid
EZ Weights with 400lbs plate
55Gal barrel filled with bluestone gravel
See attached picture: This is my rig for doing oak firewood on pallets. With about 1/2 cord of oak, you need ALL the weight!
Mark

Attachments

• 294762-forksweightchainsaw2.JPG
    294762-forksweightchainsaw2.JPG
    84.9 KB · Views: 267
   / filled tires, ez-weights, or 3pt weght???? #5  
On more fundamental differnce to point out which I read some where on this board that I didn't even think about until he said it: if you add weight to the 3pt or the wheels, you are adding stress to the tractor axels, frame, etc., compared to filling the tires where the weight is always at the bottom of the tire and adding weight to the tread only. I personally added weights to my tractor simply because I did not want to mess around with filling, repair issues, etc., thats not to say it is a bad idea. Also think about the location of the weight when on hills. In the tires that weight has a very low center of gravity. When it is on the axle or 3pt, you have raised the COG and now changed the stability of the tractor. I was really concerned about this at one point because of my hills. But, as it turns out, when I am on side hill that is just a little too much while mowing and loader down as far as possible, the rear of the tractor will start to slide slightly. Thats when I know I have gone too far. But, I would rather slide than tip! my personal opinion is that the extra weight is what makes it slide as opposed to getting tippy.

/ filled tires, ez-weights, or 3pt weght???? #6  
This wasn't one of the options you listed, but you might find it interesting anyway. I found a tractor like mine being parted out. I bought the rear wheels and tires, I made some spindle spools from 6" pipe and added the new tires to the outside of the old ones. The wheels were $300 with or without the tires, I took 'em. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif The materials for the spools came from my boneyard, I did the welding myself, and the machine shop charged me $100 for the necessary turning and drilling. I keep the inner tires inflated to 12 psi, and the outers to 10 psi. I never weighed the extra equipment, but it is about 300 lbs. The gain in traction was enough that I seldom have to lock the differential, and almost never use 4 wd. The peace of mind on side hills is wonderful. For row crop work, the outer wheels come off, the garden is pretty flat. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ filled tires, ez-weights, or 3pt weght???? #7  
Stan,

Is there any chance you might post a picture of the spools you made and anything else you think might be helpful? I posted a question about this very thing just yesterday under 'Build It Yourself.' Thanks.

/ filled tires, ez-weights, or 3pt weght???? #8  
Love to Gary, but I am digitally challenged. If I can figure out how to take and post pics, I'll do it for you. The spools are just the opposite of those that hold thread, the pipe is the maximum diameter of the spool. The plates weld to the ends with holes made the size of the center hub, I reach through the hole to insert the bolts for the inner wheel. It is kind difficult holding up the spool while lining up the bolts wheels and spool, but once the inners are installed the outers are a piece of cake. Maybe the CFO will allow me to buy a digital camera. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif