Finally, we're supposed to close on the 13th!!

/ Finally, we're supposed to close on the 13th!! #1  

Flatheadyoungin

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45 Shuttle
Woo hoo!

We've been dealing on this 40 acres since last Feb. and now we have a closing date.

Long story short....:rolleyes:

This is some of my old stompin' ground. It's one of those pcs. of ground that you don't know who really owns it and everybody seems to use it (not saying that it's right).

When we used to leave my grandparent's at Christmas, I'd drive real slow past this place, point and tell my wife, "We're gonna live back there, someday." I was really only dreaming. I thought it would never be for sale and if it were, I'd miss it or couldn't afford it.

Well, I just happen to find it on the county auditor's website and noticed that the guy lives out of town. Thinking that I could get a good deal, I called him to see if he would be interested4rested in selling it. He told me he hadn't thought about it and that he'd get back with me. Little did I know, his nephew is a realtor. So, he wanted market price for it. I didn't get a good deal, but we had saved up some and was willing to pay the extra amount.

Our plans:

build ourselves
cut some poplar trees, let them dry, mill them and frame the house
geothermal, coal/wood
plant as many walnut, maple, cherry and red oak trees as possible for our kids and grand kids
maybe some "other" stuff like ginseng, etc.
and just to hack out a happy existence and to give our kids some options when they try to get their start in life

I will take pics of the before and after bush hoggin/work/clearing the road, etc.

I was a little scared about the economy, but to tell you the truth, we owe on our current home.......I'd rather let the bank come and get it and live in a shack on this property- where we can be self-sustaining- than try to ride it our where we are now.

I'm ready for the task!

edit: two pics attached

the one with red lines, shows where the old road used to be

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 291
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
   / Finally, we're supposed to close on the 13th!! #2  
Congratulations!! I'm going back to my old stompin grounds too. I can't wait!

/ Finally, we're supposed to close on the 13th!! #3  
Congratulations! That looks like a really nice piece of property.

/ Finally, we're supposed to close on the 13th!! #4  
Likewise, congratulation on your new place. Look's like you got your work cut out for you. I noticed by your previous posts that this was a long time coming. Hope it turns out to be everything you wished for.

Mark

/ Finally, we're supposed to close on the 13th!!
Yeah, it'll take us a long time. We'll need to recover quite a bit.

I'll document it here over a period of years........or many moons:D

I've been dying to get out there and get started for months......originally I thought I'd be in there before spring time.........then the middle of summer......now it's looking like mid fall. That's ok, I can still bushhog as long as the ground is hard....

/ Finally, we're supposed to close on the 13th!! #6  
That's a good lookin' piece! If "everyone" has been using it ... your first task should be some good fences.

/ Finally, we're supposed to close on the 13th!! #7  
Congrats!!! Nothing like dream coming true. Keep us posted with pix of the property and eventually the house.

/ Finally, we're supposed to close on the 13th!!
yeah, I've been debating it.....

other than my 30ft wide access road (which looks like you're driving across some one's yard) the only way in this place is to go directly across some one's property.......it's surrounded.

so, the people using it are all the people living around it.....all are good old fashioned hard working people (i know pretty much all of them from where i grew up).........there's never any of thos teenage kids that like to party and burn junk and leave their beer cans around...

so, and give me other advice if you'd like, my plan is meet with most of the neighbors......just while i'm out bushhogging and if we make eye contact......explain to them that i'm going to be putting up no trespassing signs and that those signs are for people that i don't know.....however, i don't want any fires at all........and, being that people pretty much just hunt on it, i'm going to tell them that i don't care if they walk back there, but if they are going to shoot, then they MUST call me first because i may be back in the woods with my kids..........this way, i'm not telling them they can't go back there but i think it'll stop any shooting because very few people are are going to think, 'hey, i'm going hunting tomorrow, i'd better call him first..." that'll just be too much trouble....and the people i'm talking about, will honor that.........the ones that won't honor it, are most likely those that shouldn't be there and those are the people the no trespassing signs are for....

worse comes to worse, fences will go up......but other than about 5 entry points, the fences lines have been growing for 50+ years....they are dense and wide.....full of briars, etc.

most of the people that are back there, have something to trade; i can fish at their pond, cross their property to get to my family's property, etc.... so i think it'll be ok......

That's a good lookin' piece! If "everyone" has been using it ... your first task should be some good fences.

/ Finally, we're supposed to close on the 13th!! #9  
Sounds like what you're saying is that not "everyone" uses it ...just the immediate neighbors ...in which case - I gotta go with you on it -- let the neighbors know you've bought it and are going to be making use of it more than has been done in the past ...and make some arrangement with them such that they know they might be welcome to some limited use. But you should still set some limits on 'em --- just keep it cordial ---and some reciprocity is always good too.

/ Finally, we're supposed to close on the 13th!! #10  
what did you actually buy? (you might outline on the sat photo)

im trying to aquire about 3.5 acers of land locked unuseable ground directly behind mine. The property line isonly about 50' from the back of what will be our house so this property would be considered "our back yard" .

i was hopping to pick it up for around $3500 an acre.