Finish mowing with R1 ("ag") tires -- solutions?

/ Finish mowing with R1 ("ag") tires -- solutions? #1  

forest8

Tractor
Kioti NX60
My tractor has R1 ("ag") tires, with aggressive tread. Works great in mud and mowing brush, but tears up the lawn, which my wife does not like 😬. For finish mowing, especially when the ground is soft/damp, any ideas aside from swapping out the tires?

I was thinking it could be possible to make tire covers out of old carpet, and attach them around the tires similar to snow chains. Before trying this crazy idea, wondering if anyone else has tried it?

Any other suggestions how to do finish mowing on a lawn with R1 tires without tearing it up?

Thanks in advance!

/ Finish mowing with R1 ("ag") tires -- solutions? #2  
I found the best solution to be not mowing with my tractor. I tried a 72" rear discharge deck, and even purchased a set of turf tires. I mowed my lawn (~7 acres) for a season that way, and found that I still tore up the grass in a few areas, even with the turf tires. Worse, the weight of the tractor caused small "ruts", even though I changed the direction of cut every time I mowed. I ended up buying a commercial front mower and got rid of the mower deck for the tractor.

/ Finish mowing with R1 ("ag") tires -- solutions?
Thank you, Supraman. That is both very good advice and bad news :confused: for me, I was hoping not to be looking at a new machine. Maybe unavoidable.

/ Finish mowing with R1 ("ag") tires -- solutions? #5  
what size tractor and what type of soil is your lawn? I mow mine with my Branson 2400H and yes when wet you will leave tracks but I also have option of mowing with my JD X540 mower which will also leave tracks when ground is wet like driving through standing water in low ground. Mine is a country yard no ta manicured lawn.

When wet zero turns will also tear up the lawn if you are not real careful on turns since one rear wheel is potentially skidding or spinning while turning.

/ Finish mowing with R1 ("ag") tires -- solutions? #6  
what size tractor and what type of soil is your lawn? I mow mine with my Branson 2400H and yes when wet you will leave tracks but I also have option of mowing with my JD X540 mower which will also leave tracks when ground is wet like driving through standing water in low ground. Mine is a country yard no ta manicured lawn.

When wet zero turns will also tear up the lawn if you are not real careful on turns since one rear wheel is potentially skidding or spinning while turning.
Totally agreed, if its too wet even a push mower wheel will leave tracks. Mowing is best when its dry and not water logged.

/ Finish mowing with R1 ("ag") tires -- solutions? #7  
Said it before, but the best combo that I've found is the L4240 with R4's and a 7-1/2' RFM for our 3-1/2 acres. Some hills, buildings, trees and a creek to deal with. It's the 5th tractor since building here 30 years ago.

IMG_5352.JPG

Last edited:
   / Finish mowing with R1 ("ag") tires -- solutions? #8  
My Kubota M6040 @ 10,100# tears up my lawns - no matter what time of year. I have a dedicated mower - JD 570.

/ Finish mowing with R1 ("ag") tires -- solutions?

Thanks, @oldnslo. The tractor is a Kioti NX60 with ballast-filled tires, so weighing about 6,500 lbs. The soil I'm on is unfortunately pretty soft and often with a lot of moisture.

It seems the consensus advice is not to use the tractor for mowing in these conditions, but get a proper zero turn mower. I'll see if that's in the cards. I appreciate your input.

/ Finish mowing with R1 ("ag") tires -- solutions? #10  
Thanks, @oldnslo. The tractor is a Kioti NX60 with ballast-filled tires, so weighing about 6,500 lbs. The soil I'm on is unfortunately pretty soft and often with a lot of moisture.

It seems the consensus advice is not to use the tractor for mowing in these conditions, but get a proper zero turn mower. I'll see if that's in the cards. I appreciate your input.

Oh jeez it's not like you've got a little mini machine, 6500lbs on R1s will cause some issues. But I for one would love to see the homemade carpet tire covers at least attempted. The concept is interesting for sure.

You can also keep an eye out for a set of used wheels to put on your machine for your turf use, if you really want to use the tractor. But by the time you factor in the finish mower cost and the wheels and tires I bet you're going to be above the cost of a decent little ZTR... if you go that route, the pros love kawasaki engines in the gas powered models.