Finished up my firewood for 2020-21

/ Finished up my firewood for 2020-21 #21  
Yep...those look handy. You store them in the dry or cover them outside ?

I ran into a real deal on the metal, so I made them out of sq tube and expanded metal. The one on the photo I set inside our hoop house for use if we get early cold. The one for the shop is on heavy metal casters....set it inside the shop and roll it back beside the wood furnace.

I love the use of the hoop house. Very nice. We get a bit too much snow for visqueen covered structures, I'm afraid. I won't show my DW, she has been after me for a green house forever.

I store these outside with a tarp over the top. When full, the top is almost flat so a tarp keeps them very nice and dry. When I need wood at the house, I drive over and pick up a basket and bring it to the house where I stack it under the 2' eaves. I said they can be stacked but I don't stack them. I too got a deal on some 1" tubing all framed up with expended steel screwed to it - a local auction - I have stacks of the es, some of which is going for a carryall/dumpbucket/ballast for my tractor, man that stuff has gotten pricey.

/ Finished up my firewood for 2020-21 #22  
/Users/frits/Desktop/IMG_0196.jpeg

Here is my firewood storage solution

/ Finished up my firewood for 2020-21 #23  
I'm just now getting to work on cutting firewood for the year. We had some left over from last year that's been great, but I can't put it off any longer and spent the weekend cutting rounds, splitting them, and then stacking them next to the house. I fill up the chain saw with fuel and oil, go over the blade with my file and put it into the Mule. I fill up the gas take of the splitter and I don't bring any extra fuel or oil. One tank of fuel in the chainsaw will allow me to cut more rounds then I can fit into the back of the Mule once split, so that's a perfect amount of fuel. The same is true with the log splitter. One tank of gas will give me a very full, to overflowing load of firewood in the back of the Mule.

24291720_10215076094398458_1015147079361670982_o.jpg

I'm curious in how you get your wood from the field to the shed?

/ Finished up my firewood for 2020-21 #24  
Here is my firewood storage just outside the door
IMG_0196.jpeg

/ Finished up my firewood for 2020-21
I'm curious in how you get your wood from the field to the shed?

I bring mine to the shed I'm filling at the time in lengths of 8-12' on the tractor forks, then cut to length there.

/ Finished up my firewood for 2020-21 #26  
The airport luggage carts are perfect for firewood. Each can hold about 1.5 cords and can be towed close to point of use. During the summer I park them to get the most sun for drying the wood. The Kubota UTV can tow them or can use the tractor or truck if towing uphill loaded

/ Finished up my firewood for 2020-21 #27  
I bring mine to the shed I'm filling at the time in lengths of 8-12' on the tractor forks, then cut to length there.

I did that one year. I cut all my rounds out in the field and loaded them into the front bucket of my tractor. Then I dumped them near to where I stack my wood and split it there. What I didn't like was all the mess it created that I had to clean up after splitting. Bark coming off of the rounds was the worse. Now I split where I get the rounds and I just leave the debris where they are and let them decompose over time. But I think that I'm also handling the wood too many times. Guess it's just what it is.

/ Finished up my firewood for 2020-21
Does make some mess, as you can see in the photo:

enhance

But the advantage of living in a mountain area is there is always a hillside to shove it over ! I back drag it with bucket, then simply shove it over into the woods to decay.

The photo is one of my rare flat spots, and only because I cut it out of the hill side with a dozer years ago. It was first a baseball practice throwing space, complete with wood backstop built for my nephew when he had aspirations of high school glory. Then it became a pig yard for my couple of yearly feeder pigs....decided they needed more pasture later and moved it. Then it became a place to park a couple of wood sheds.

/ Finished up my firewood for 2020-21 #29  
Funny how we start out thinking a place is good for something, then change our minds, and then change them again a few more times. I'm constantly rethinking what I've done, and what I'm going to do. Seems like the longer I take to start a project, the more it changes!!!

/ Finished up my firewood for 2020-21 #30  
agree the longer I think about a project the more it changes. Usually for the better. Doing splitting where the tree was felled makes sense to me and loading the UTV directly as it comes off the splitter avoids some double handling. I am using multiple ways of storing the wood. Here is a picture of some of it stacked under the barn. Usually two rows stacked 10 ft high
Learned the hard way that that the stack needs a lot lean into the wall to avoid falling.

IMG_1162.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1186.jpeg
    IMG_1186.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78