Fire wood storage building?

/ Fire wood storage building?
Wow some nice ideas and projects. Most, sadly are out of my range. Mcfarmall I just did a shed to surround my pump and pressure tank built from pallets. I still haven't roofed it yet. Will use metal or fiberglass, not sure which yet. The fiberglass would be for ambient light and the metal for durability.

I posted a thread here http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/374338-not-my-wood-shed-but.html?highlight=pallet+shed where I built it. Once the siding was on it was pretty strong. As strong as any framing project I have done.

I may end up collecting pallets and doing this on a larger scale for my wood storage. With the 60ft oak that fell over this winter I now have a HUGE pile of wood to store. That is cut but not split. Right now I have about 2 cords cut/split/stacked, but about 8 more that needs splitting and stored, so I need to do SOMETHING.

Henrythe8th
I was at costco yesterday eyeing one of those and wondering. With our sun I am not sure how long the tarp would last, and the metal roofing would really up the overall cost. Might be about the same, and not as strong, as the metal carport idea.

/ Fire wood storage building? #32  
My wife and I put this wood shed up this past summer. It is a VersaTube structure sitting on a concrete slab per their specs, roughly 30' x 10' and 9+ feet tall. Tall enough to drive the tractor under with the ROPS up. We have a new house in northern Minnesota. We burned 1 1/2 cords this winter to heat the house. I've got multiple years of wood in the shed with more waiting to get split and put in the shed.

20160802_142257.jpg

20161127_095703.jpg

/ Fire wood storage building?
That's very much like my carport idea. I would not need concrete, it would be nice, but not needed. I put my wood on pallets, that way air can circulate. I would still need to fab up some removable sides for the rainy winters here.

/ Fire wood storage building? #34  
Gordon - that is exactly what I would like to build. Good looking structure. Well done.

Do you have problems with varmints taking up residence?

I have a similar shed. After I laid out the floor framing, I filled it with gravel before I put down flooring. I get chipmunks etc taking shelter in the wood but the rock eliminates the snakes, mice, groundhogs, etc under the floor that would otherwise be there.

/ Fire wood storage building? #35  
I get the normal critters you would expect to get in any open out building around here. Phoebes, robins, bats, swallows, and wasps in the rafters, and snakes, mice, and chipmunks in the wood pile. Plus an occasional weasel or ermine traveling thru looking for a meal. As I take the wood out though the winter I am amazed at how many old mice nests and snake skins I come across. During the winter all those critters are else where so I have never inadvertently brought one into the house.

gg

/ Fire wood storage building? #36  
I have 4 wood sheds made from 8' tall sections of pallet rack. I the top end of one leg off about 16" down and when the rack is assembled I built a simple shed type roof with pole barn metal for a covering. Throw 2-48" x 48" pallets down on the beams and you have a rack that will hold around 1.7 cords up off the ground and sheltered from the rain. On the inside of the uprights I attached some old chain link fencing to keep the firewood from simply falling out the open spaces...works AWESOME!!

I have built several sheds from pallet racks. the one the tractor is lifting is 11' wide and 8' deep. If you look close- I cut the upright down the middle and reattached using treated 2x6 screwed to metal crossmembers. 6' high in back and 8' in front.
very easy to move around using 2 4x6's across forks and lifting
the other shed is around 10x22 with racks also ar roof supports. metal roof also

IMG_0987.jpg. 1tr gr.png. s1a.jpg

these I covered with tarp for winter and later metal

s5.jpg. s6.jpg