Firefighters forced to wait for 100K ammo rounds to explode

/ Firefighters forced to wait for 100K ammo rounds to explode #33  
Ammunition in a fire is no big deal, as long as they are not chambered in a firearm. They just pop and the case and the bullet separate with very little force. They will hardly dent a cardboard box. They present very little hazard. No real hazard to a fireman with a face mask an his normal clothing. Much less than an aerosol can. Now if a round is chambered into a firearm that cooks off, then it is a lethal hazard.
That's not been my experience when a buddy of mine threw some 41 cal. pistol cartridge's in a fire. The brass came out of the fire pretty fast. Fortunately i only got hit by rock shrapnel when a piece of brass hit a rock. There were some pretty unhappy campers after that little trick.

/ Firefighters forced to wait for 100K ammo rounds to explode #34  
Yeah, I always heard that the brass was a hazard if you were anywhere close. I know when I was a wild and crazy kid, I shot a .22 shell with my BB gun, and the brass took off like a striped arsed ape, and "whizzed" by my ear. I filed this away, and didn't do any more target practice with a live .22 shell.

/ Firefighters forced to wait for 100K ammo rounds to explode #35  
Visiting a friend, I noticed that there was a small crack, in the screen of a new TV he had just bought. Looked exactly like rock-chip damage on a car's windshield. He had fired up his wood stove for the first time that fall and forgot to remove a 9 MM round that was on top of the stove. The damage was not caused by the bullet, it was caused by the case. Last summer, during the wild-fires, we were put on level two evacuation notice. I took all my ammo outside and stored it between the raised beds in our garden, covered it with cement mix bags and a big red sign saying, Stay Clear AMMO Dump.

/ Firefighters forced to wait for 100K ammo rounds to explode #36  
Another fire and urban renewal in the garbage state....lol

/ Firefighters forced to wait for 100K ammo rounds to explode #37  
Note to self: Don't sit too close to the campfire.

/ Firefighters forced to wait for 100K ammo rounds to explode #38  
The other theory I have read is the casing becomes the projectile, not the bullet. I guess that depends on the position of the casing against a fixed object.

Yes, the casing will be the object that moves, it is the lightest, It won't do much damage though. In a box of shells with both ends trapped??? dunno.

/ Firefighters forced to wait for 100K ammo rounds to explode #39  
As a kid I accidently burned an EMPTY one in a trash/burn barrel. When that thing went airborne (not long after me lighting the fire) I was darn glad I was not too close to the fire. It went up into the air probably 50 feet at a high rate of speed and scared the crap out me. I advised my sister that was the last hairspray can to go into the paper trash.:mad:

I used to burn in a burn barrel and throw spray cans in for "fun". Did that one day and went on about my lawn mowing. Bang!!! Next round there was the bottom of that can laying on the grass. I blew out of the barrel, went over a tall fir tree andlanded there. I admired the nice round thing with very sharp edges and decided I would NOT do that again.

/ Firefighters forced to wait for 100K ammo rounds to explode #40  
When we were kids we had a fire pit out in the woods. We threw in a spray paint can and ran. A few minutes later BOOM! Went back and the fire was out and the fire pit was painted. Lucky we didn't start a forest fire. Unsupervised kids with fire... yikes!