First Big Project for RK24 Backhoe - It's a Winner

/ First Big Project for RK24 Backhoe - It's a Winner #1  

OhioCowboy

Silver Member
Tractor
KIOTI CK3510se HST Open Station w/FEL, RK24 HST w/FEL & Backhoe, DEAD-NH TC33D HST
300+ feet of new pond overflow pipe. 24"-30" deep.
Combination of clay+shale+locust roots. :thumbsup:
RF24 Forum Pic1.jpgRF24 Forum Pic2.jpgRF24 Forum Pic3.jpg

/ First Big Project for RK24 Backhoe - It's a Winner #2  
Great job!! looks awesome

/ First Big Project for RK24 Backhoe - It's a Winner #3  
How far do those locusts roots grow ? Not seeing any tree's other than the little pines. Or are they it.? Lot of root cutting. :eek:

/ First Big Project for RK24 Backhoe - It's a Winner
The pines were no problem at their age. The locust roots only go to their drip line but they make it harder when going under and between 2 of them, especially for the guy in the ditch. :laughing:
Here's a pic looking the other way of the locusts at the road ditch.
RKForum Pond.jpg

uptaker73 - Thanks, put off renting a machine to do it for 3 years. After buying it in July I waited for pond level to go down like it usually does in July-September but this year was so rainy, it never dropped below the water level I wanted to maintain with the overflow. Always four to six inches above it.

/ First Big Project for RK24 Backhoe - It's a Winner #6  
Nice trenching... but man the roots are surprising!

Luckily, it was only the last 50-60 feet. The lopers made quick work of them.

/ First Big Project for RK24 Backhoe - It's a Winner #8  
Great job! I'm also in the process of digging a 500 ft trench, 3 ft deep for a waterline. I'm getting better and better at operating the backhoe. Bit of a learning curve. Real projects for real tractors! I'd ask how long it took you to dig 300 feet, but I'm not sure I want to know. :eek:

I'm learning too. I put about 7 hours on the hour meter. Since I can only reach about 6 ft with my bucket and I was digging 2 foot deep, I was only able to move backward about 3 foot each time. Not a complaint, just takes more time than a bigger machine like yours. But time is something I have nowadays. Being retired gives me 6 Saturdays and one Sunday every week. I would guess you'll move faster since you won't be trying to control the slope of the ditch. Plus you have a couple feet more depth ability and twice the digging force of the RK24. What kind of soil are you digging in down there?

/ First Big Project for RK24 Backhoe - It's a Winner #10  
Nice Job, I have to get used to my backhoe, I did a small ditch, nothing compared to what you did, but I felt like every five minutes I had to move tractor. I think I just have to figure out how to dig with a backhoe.