Flea and tick prevention for dogs?

/ Flea and tick prevention for dogs? #1  

boostmg

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 3620 TLB Hydro
We got our dog a Seresto collar, someone had told us frontline gave his dogs cancer, i looked up the Seresto collar and did see an article stating a small percentage of animals were harmed.

i just wanted to see if anyone has any data around which flea and tick prevention you have used with your dogs and any issues

ticks are a problem where i live

/ Flea and tick prevention for dogs? #2  
When we used the collars, we found the strength of the insecticide diminished toward the rear of the dog. We switched to using Bravecto, with which we have been very happy.
Ticks are a big problem here in Northern Virginia, as well. Parts of Pennsylvania are only 60 miles from here, so we may well have exactly the same problems (and solutions).

/ Flea and tick prevention for dogs? #3  
I never had much luck with Frontline; possibly because my dog is in the water at least every other day in the summer months. It worked for a couple of weeks, but you can only apply it once per month.
I also have never used a flea collar, for safety among other reasons as I don’t need something to catch while out in the woods.
Ruger gets Bravecto... a pill which he takes every 12 weeks.

Since he started it about 9 years ago I have never found a tick on him; whereas previously it wasn’t uncommon to pick 30 or more from him every night, depending on what part of the state we were working.

Granted, I don’t like that he is eating this poison or whatever the active ingredient is. He had Lyme’s when I got him, so I feel that the pill is the lesser of the two evils.

edit:I type slow, and see that the poster above me also suggested Bravecto.

/ Flea and tick prevention for dogs? #4  
We use Nexgard. Give her one a month. She thinks they are a treat. Just eats the little chunk. No fleas or ticks. If there are ever any, they are already dead and no flea eggs in the house. Anything else (including collars) there were still some fleas and then eggs became the problem. Many years ago, when we were gone two or three weeks, we came home to starving fleas that were hatched. As you walked on the carpet, some would jump up from the carpet. Had to spray everything. Also used Frontline for years. I felt like it was toxic, but don't know. Still had fleas with Frontline.

/ Flea and tick prevention for dogs? #5  
We use Nexgard. Give her one a month. She thinks they are a treat. Just eats the little chunk. No fleas or ticks. If there are ever any, they are already dead and no flea eggs in the house. Anything else (including collars) there were still some fleas and then eggs became the problem. Many years ago, when we were gone two or three weeks, we came home to starving fleas that were hatched. As you walked on the carpet, some would jump up from the carpet. Had to spray everything. Also used Frontline for years. I felt like it was toxic, but don't know. Still had fleas with Frontline.
Yep, same here. Hate collars and the dog thinks it's a treat. Vet recommended so that's good enough for me

/ Flea and tick prevention for dogs? #6  
I've used NexGard with great success. Collars of any kind are not a good idea out here. Dog can get caught up in old barbed wire and lost to coyotes.

/ Flea and tick prevention for dogs? #7  
We got our dog a Seresto collar, someone had told us frontline gave his dogs cancer, i looked up the Seresto collar and did see an article stating a small percentage of animals were harmed.

i just wanted to see if anyone has any data around which flea and tick prevention you have used with your dogs and any issues

ticks are a problem where i live
I used Ivermectin. No ticks!

/ Flea and tick prevention for dogs? #8  
I use Frontline on my dogs. 8 years for one, 4 years for the other. They hardly ever see water. I've had very good luck as I live out in the sticks/tick country.

/ Flea and tick prevention for dogs? #9  
I've used Advantage for many years with dogs, cats and ferrets. Never had an issue with fleas or ticks.

Vet recommended NexGuard so we are trying it out on current dog.

/ Flea and tick prevention for dogs? #10  
Bravecto works well for us. One dog considers it a treat, the other takes some work. No ticks since switching.