Florida County Restricts Lawn Fertilizer Use

/ Florida County Restricts Lawn Fertilizer Use #21  
I never understood the subdivision logic. They dump fertilizer on the lawn and then take it away by sucking the clippings off.

/ Florida County Restricts Lawn Fertilizer Use #23  
Only time the grass here gets fertilized is when I take a leak on it. :p

1644844258847.jpeg

/ Florida County Restricts Lawn Fertilizer Use #24  
I have never fertilized my 4.5 acre yard and in the summer i have to mow twice a week, I have friends who go nuts if they spot a weed in their yard and call out the lawn experts .

/ Florida County Restricts Lawn Fertilizer Use #25  
I consider anything green to be 'grass' far as a lawn is concerned, bu then I live in rural America anyway. No one out here fertilizes their grass and if you spied a 'Tru-Green truck out here you'd deam the owner of the lawn certifiably insane.

/ Florida County Restricts Lawn Fertilizer Use #26  
In Ontario, farmers were suddenly denied purchase of Roundup, killex etc. Residential weed control fertilizers and sprays have been banned for years. Get stocked up before you have to use a battery powered weed killer! Make a good friend of a Lawn Maintenance person.

/ Florida County Restricts Lawn Fertilizer Use #27  
When I was a suburbanite I used fertilizer on my lawns at a rate I could never afford on my farm. Out here on the farm dandelions are pretty, not to be crowded out by Kentucky Bluegrass like in the city.

/ Florida County Restricts Lawn Fertilizer Use #28  
Glyphosate is never an issue for me and neither are any herbicides or pesticides as I have a Michigan application license.

/ Florida County Restricts Lawn Fertilizer Use #29  
Lots of the nitrates and phosphorus in the local canals are leaching from drain fields and old septic tanks. City hired a company to do test drillings and analysis, the runoff pollution was quite significant. The area in question has a few hundred homes, and was built forty or fifty years ago. Septic tanks were a 55 gallon drum and some cinder blocks maybe 25 feet from the canals, not much else. That was legal then.

Using the documentation, the city got $5.5 million to install sewers in that area. Residents still have to pay for hookup (although there may be grants available) and removal of the old septic tanks.

We really didn't have much choice. State sent an unfunded mandate that everyone east of US-1 had to connect to sewers sooner or later, with a lot of pressure on "sooner".

What I found encouraging was that pretty much everyone affected agreed that yes, this was a problem, the canals were really filthy, and yes, we're gonna have to pay to fix it because it is big time nasty out there. Nobody is overjoyed about the impending expense, but they understand it has to be done.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

/ Florida County Restricts Lawn Fertilizer Use #30  
Don't you know that worms are an invasive species? :D
Hoo-man evolved from worms... so ya no doubt.

We are the only species that has been able to alter climate. Thats pretty invasive.