Flux Core Amps vs thickness

/ Flux Core Amps vs thickness #21  

ray66v

Tractor
GC2310,
This is a myth...(it's prudent to bevel the edges regardless of the welder IMO, no need to preheat the metal unless it's really cold) welding 1/4" mild steel is a breeze with a quality 110V welder...it generally takes two passes but if you take your time you will get decent penetration...
FWIW...I have pretzeled a couple of different fabrications with 1/4" welded with a 110V Hobart welder where there was no sign of the welds failing etc...I have
You can post the sky is blue on TBN, and someone will tell you that's wrong.

Enjoy your 110 volt welder.

/ Flux Core Amps vs thickness #22  

/pine

Super Star Member
You can post the sky is blue on TBN, and someone will tell you that's wrong.

Enjoy your 110 volt welder.

Well...If someone has never been outside and lived inside their entire life inside and never looked out the window...they would have to take your word that the sky is blue...But people that have actually seen the sky know for a fact that it's blue...

enjoy your shrouded life...!

/ Flux Core Amps vs thickness #23  

GeneV

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bradley 48" stander MF GC1710
A little bit you can learn from welders owners manual, why you keep popping your 15 amp breaker....
From Hobart Handler 140 manual...

And A little internet electrical conversion...

A little bit you can learn from welders owners manual, why you keep popping your 15 amp breaker....
From Hobart Handler 140 manual...

View attachment 752015

And A little internet electrical conversion...

View attachment 752016
That FC90 will trip a 20 amp breaker, ask me how I know.

/ Flux Core Amps vs thickness #25  

GeneV

Veteran Member
Tractor
This is why I installed a dedicated 30 Amp circuit for my HH 140...
You upped wiring for that, I assume? If yes, what's the point running a 30 amp? Might as well run a 50 and get you a 220v outlet.

But I'm just here to help the o/p who's posting about the FC90...so I assume he's just got a regular 120v outlet with 15 or 20 amp breaker.

/ Flux Core Amps vs thickness #26  

WranglerX

Elite Member
Tractor
MF GC1715
You upped wiring for that, I assume? If yes, what's the point running a 30 amp? Might as well run a 50 and get you a 220v outlet.

But I'm just here to help the o/p who's posting about the FC90...so I assume he's just got a regular 120v outlet with 15 or 20 amp breaker.
Just so you know, I have two 240V 50 Amp outlets in garage, one for electric drier and one for what ever reason I need it for.... Years ago (12 to 14) I sold my 240V stick welder as I was no longer using it, about 7 years ago I needed to get back into welding and decided to try a 120V MIG, so far it seems to do about 98% of my needs the other 2% that is to big for my capabilities I farm out ... My only regret is that I did not buy the Hobart 21OMVP at the time but then I didn't know how much welding I would do.... Yes I uses 10 Gauge with for breaker (larger than code) to dedicated receptacle, maybe all of 3 feet and use a 25 foot 12 gauge extension cord (Handler manual says I can go 56 feet with 12 gauge e-cord) and when it comes down to bottom end the pigtail on welder its self is only 14 gauge....

And yes it all meets code, did you know there is special section in Nation Electric Code (NEC) compliance instruction just for "welders"...

/ Flux Core Amps vs thickness #27  

GeneV

Veteran Member
Tractor
Just so you know, I have two 240V 50 Amp outlets in garage, one for electric drier and one for what ever reason I need it for.... Years ago (12 to 14) I sold my 240V stick welder as I was no longer using it, about 7 years ago I needed to get back into welding and decided to try a 120V MIG, so far it seems to do about 98% of my needs the other 2% that is to big for my capabilities I farm out ... My only regret is that I did not buy the Hobart 21OMVP at the time but then I didn't know how much welding I would do.... Yes I uses 10 Gauge with for breaker (larger than code) to dedicated receptacle, maybe all of 3 feet and use a 25 foot 12 gauge extension cord (Handler manual says I can go 56 feet with 12 gauge e-cord) and when it comes down to bottom end the pigtail on welder its self is only 14 gauge....

And yes it all meets code, did you know there is special section in Nation Electric Code (NEC) compliance instruction just for "welders"...
Gotcha. I now got a 240v in my shop when I need it, that's where I welded up the plow for the massey. This time around though, I decided to try doing the forks on 120v in my garage, was pleasantly surprised that my amico welder never tripped the breaker or even hit the top of it's duty cycle. Just the fan would turn on ever so often.