Folding Rops - Opps

/ Folding Rops - Opps #1  

David Devuono

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B4200\MF 135\Kubota B3200
Taking my B3200 up to my Lot later today. For the last week its been at home in my garage and we got about 5 inches of saturated snow, so of course I had to play and make my front lawn look like a mall parking lot snow pile. Anyway, as I did a few neighbours driveways, I put the ROPS up. Guess what happened when I went to park it back in the garage. Lets just say, when I heard a crunch and looked down to see what I ran over, I should have looked up.

/ Folding Rops - Opps #3  
They forgot to tell you during your pdi walkaround, that you would be buying a new garage door as part of your tractor purchase.

Don't worry, you'll catch yourself doing it at least one more time. :)

/ Folding Rops - Opps #4  
OUCH..sudden stop :( hope there not to much damage.

/ Folding Rops - Opps #5  
If nobody else saw it, then it didn't happen.
Your secret is safe with us.

/ Folding Rops - Opps #6  
When Steve Barlow delivered my B2620 he was getting ready to drive the tractor into my storage bldg. i kept looking at the height of the ROPS and the door and didn't think it would clear and as he got close i could see it wouldn't. Lowered roPS to partially up and parked the tractor. Have used it a few times on level ground so never raised ROPS back up. Had to dig some septic lines last month. Got to spot to dig, turned seat, got ready to get up on tractor with seat turned in BH position and an airplane flying over dropped a wheel on my head :confused2: :confused3: :confused2: :eek: :rolleyes: :thumbdown: Glad i had a hat on. Took gloves off to feel for blood and looked for airplane and wheel then saw partially lowered ROPS right above where my head goes when mounting the BH seat:duh: :duh: :duh:
No, I'm not going to remove the ROPS but I may cover it with flashing bright LED strobe lights!!!!! Up or down it's a hazard:laughing: Yes, laughing now but i sure wasn't that day.

/ Folding Rops - Opps #7  
Several preventive measures were suggested in a thread not long ago. One involved attaching a fishing rod (or other flexible device) to the front of the tractor at a height corresponding to that of the ROPS. Another involved suspending a tennis ball from the top of the door opening. Both methods would remind you to check the ROPS.

Steve

Last edited:
   / Folding Rops - Opps #8  
When Steve Barlow delivered my B2620 he was getting ready to drive the tractor into my storage bldg. i kept looking at the height of the ROPS and the door and didn't think it would clear and as he got close i could see it wouldn't. Lowered roPS to partially up and parked the tractor. Have used it a few times on level ground so never raised ROPS back up. Had to dig some septic lines last month. Got to spot to dig, turned seat, got ready to get up on tractor with seat turned in BH position and an airplane flying over dropped a wheel on my head :confused2: :confused3: :confused2: :eek: :rolleyes: :thumbdown: Glad i had a hat on. Took gloves off to feel for blood and looked for airplane and wheel then saw partially lowered ROPS right above where my head goes when mounting the BH seat:duh: :duh: :duh:

No, I'm not going to remove the ROPS but I may cover it with flashing bright LED strobe lights!!!!! Up or down it's a hazard:laughing: Yes, laughing now but i sure wasn't that day.

Maybe a cheaper option and worth more to your head would be some foam padding on the ROPS for the next time you decide to challenge the bar with your head to occupy the same space.

/ Folding Rops - Opps #9  
I know the safety police will hollar at me but I put my rops down and have never put it back up. I'm strongly considering taking it off. It is always in my way. I may just remove the top section and build a shorter version.
It's in my way because I work under trees a lot.

Hmm,
I just noticed that no one would believe the trees comment after looking at my avatar and my profile pic.
No trees.

/ Folding Rops - Opps #10  
Been there done that...don't feel too bad about it. My incident was especially bad because the ROPS almost fit under the garage door opening but not quite, getting good and wedged under the header. I followed one dumb move with another and proceeded to back up and in the process pulled the header trim and much of the siding off the garage. What I should have done was deflate the tires before backing up. Oh well live and learn. I considered all sorts of inventive reminder gadgets to help me avoid a repeat performance, but in the end figured that the unpleasantness of the incident should hopefully serve as a reminder in the future...so far so good.