Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #151  

Gee Ray

Platinum Member
Tractor
Bota L2501, NH TL80A
Pickled watermelon rind is very good also.

We need more of grandma's cooking and canning.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #152  

tallyho8

Elite Member
Who Dat Nation west of Westwego east of Ama south
Tractor
Kubota L4400, Kubota ZD326
Japanese plum preserves and celeste fig preserves. My mother made them every year and put them up in those old fashioned mason type canning jars with the glass tops andT clamping lids.
In Louisiana, we have the same type of blue crabs that they have in Maryland and the soft shell ones are quite expensive and when fried Cajun style are loved by everyone.
As young kids we always had coffeemilk with breakfast.
Toast made on a wire rack on the stove and then with the black part scraped off always tasted better than toast out an electric toaster.
Popcorn cooked in a black skillet with a little lard on a gas stove was much better than microwave popcorn.
I have never tasted a lemon meringue pie nearly as good as my mothers and how I wish I had been old enough for her to teach me how to make it.
The part of fried chicken I thought tasted best was the chicken neck.
My parents would give my sister and I each 20 cents to go to the movies at a local theater and we would stop at the Walgreens next door to it and she would get a nickel box of milk duds and I would get a nickel box of sno-caps then after we paid the 14 cents admission, we would have a penny left over for next time.

Those were the good old days. song, those were the good old days, archie bunker - Bing video

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #153  

scootr

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200 HST, 773 Bobcat, Cat forklift
Meatloaf
and Lamb
Eggplant
5 bean salad :sick:

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #154  

ning

Veteran Member
Tractor
Branson 3520h
Meatloaf
and Lamb
Eggplant
5 bean salad :sick:
We have meatloaf about monthly (though it's not quite the typical meatloaf - mixture of ground beef + pork plus finely diced onions and sauteed shredded mushrooms plus a few spices - strangely missing bread crumbs; usually make two bread pans full and freeze one for a dinner the next week); just made lamb kabobs the other night, there's a ton of eggplant coming out of the garden so we've had it sauteed, in thai curry, as baba ganoush. Haven't had the 5 bean salad recently but there's a bit of it canned in the pantry...

Do people really not eat these?

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #155  

Molalla1

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra, JD, MF, CAT
We have meatloaf about monthly (though it's not quite the typical meatloaf - mixture of ground beef + pork plus finely diced onions and sauteed shredded mushrooms plus a few spices - strangely missing bread crumbs; usually make two bread pans full and freeze one for a dinner the next week); just made lamb kabobs the other night, there's a ton of eggplant coming out of the garden so we've had it sauteed, in thai curry, as baba ganoush. Haven't had the 5 bean salad recently but there's a bit of it canned in the pantry...

Do people really not eat these?
I'm not a fan of 5 bean salad myself, the others (y) .

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #156  

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M9000 HDCC3 M9000 HDC
Beans, beans, the musical fruit, the more you eat, the more you toot...

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #157  

MossRoad

Old Timer
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
We had meatloaf last Friday. Cold meatloaf sandwiches on the menu for dinner tonight. Tasty! :p

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #158  

ning

Veteran Member
Tractor
Branson 3520h
I'm not a fan of 5 bean salad myself, the others (y) .
I kinda like some brands, but we figured out what about them we like and what we don't like and came up with a recipe that (in our opinion) has all the good parts and none of the bad

Beans, beans, the musical fruit, the more you eat, the more you toot...

If you soak the beans overnight (discard the water at least once) before you cook, they apparently are easier to digest and overall better for you

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #159  

East30

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650 / RTV-X1100C
When I was a young lad, I used to eat a spreadable limburger cheese. I loved it. I remember it being referred to as "deer" brand" because it had a deer logo on the jar. I'd really like to try it again, but have had no luck finding anything like it at all.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #160  

MossRoad

Old Timer
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
When I was a young lad, I used to eat a spreadable limburger cheese. I loved it. I remember it being referred to as "deer" brand" because it had a deer logo on the jar. I'd really like to try it again, but have had no luck finding anything like it at all.
You know why you have no luck finding it? Because it stinks! :ROFLMAO:

My grandpa used to bring it up with him when he'd visit us in the summer. My mom wouldn't let him keep it in the house.

It stunk, but I still ate it just to be a tough guy like my grandpa. :p