Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #311  

MossRoad

Old Timer
Top Poster Of Month
Tractor
Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year
Giant Cheeseburger

My mom had a large skillet that she'd layer in burger, a bunch of cheese, then more burger. She'd put the lid on it and put it in the oven. About half way through, she'd pull it out, flip it on a plate, put it back in the pan and brown the other side.

She'd bring it out and put it on a baking sheet and bring it to the table. That sucker was a good 12" across! As little kids, our eyes would pop out. :ROFLMAO: She'd cut it up like a pie and we'd have mac and cheese with a slice of giant cheeseburger. :p

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #312  

IndyJay

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK4510MS w/Loader, Grapple Prev: Massey 1250
It's a book full of phone numbers, that my kids sat on, and about the same size and thickness of the Sears and Roebuck catalog that I sat on.
Yes, and businesses got ranked in the Yellow pages by how many "A"s their named started with instead of Google algorithms. 😁

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #313  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, MX5100, L4300, Farmall Super C, JD 790
Got a friend who I graduated High School with. He moved to an area in East Tennessee. From what I understand - not far from RockyTop. He and I use to raid the neighbors LARGE corn patch and eat it raw. He says - gets most of his corn from a Mason jar now.
Sweet corn eaten straight from the garden on the first day or so after it turns fresh tastes no different than boiled sweet corn. The corn hardens a bit after a day or two so not as good but even then almost the same as boiled. I eat plenty straight from the garden.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #314  

lman

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland 3040, New Holland 1530, Oliver 1850
It's a book full of phone numbers, that my kids sat on, and about the same size and thickness of the Sears and Roebuck catalog that I sat on.
That was a joke. Our phone book was about 1/2 inch thick.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #315  

Oaktree

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054xs
underwood deviled ham
That stuff was nasty!
Giant Cheeseburger

My mom had a large skillet that she'd layer in burger, a bunch of cheese, then more burger. She'd put the lid on it and put it in the oven. About half way through, she'd pull it out, flip it on a plate, put it back in the pan and brown the other side.

She'd bring it out and put it on a baking sheet and bring it to the table. That sucker was a good 12" across! As little kids, our eyes would pop out. :ROFLMAO: She'd cut it up like a pie and we'd have mac and cheese with a slice of giant cheeseburger. :p
Sounds good! Going to have to try it sometime.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #316  

Molalla1

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra, JD, MF, CAT
That stuff was nasty!

Sounds good! Going to have to try it sometime.
I remember the one time I tried it; it was extremely salty.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #317  

/pine

Super Star Member
The table fare value of any even slightly questionable food is directly related to *exactly* how hungry one is...!

i.e., if you've been lost in the woods for a few days and you somehow find a jar of pickled buzzard gizzards in your pack...I be they might be palatable...!

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #318  

Molalla1

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra, JD, MF, CAT
The table fare value of any even slightly questionable food is directly related to *exactly* how hungry one is...!

i.e., if you've been lost in the woods for a few days and you somehow find a jar of pickled buzzard gizzards in your pack...I be they might be palatable...!
:unsure: Umm . . . We ate some not so nice rations, wasn't in the woods was the jungle . . . ;).

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #319  

Semper Paratus

Gold Member
Tractor
New Holland 3930
Even C Rats in the late 60s to mid 70's were pretty good if you were hungry enough.