Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #271  
One of the funniest lines I remember from a movie was in the original "Highlander" when Christopher Lambert describes what haggis is to Sean Connery. A frenchman telling a scotsman about haggis struck me as incredibly funny.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #272  
Headcheese, buttermilk direct from the butter churn, Sausage made from original animal intestines.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #273  
Headcheese, buttermilk direct from the butter churn, Sausage made from original animal intestines.
I remember Grandma's headcheese; I also remember the cracklins...a bit greasy, but good!

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #274  
I regularly buy cream (goes great with whole milk...); occasionally I've got a pint that is starting to go bad. I can taste the "good bad" vs "icky bad" (to me it tastes like milk & cream have a hint of strawberry when they're going bad in a good way), and I'll toss cream that's picked up too much flavor like this into my mixer and turn it into butter, and use the buttermilk for biscuits or just toss it in bread.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #275  
If you are looking for something to watch and you have Netflix, this is a really good series (Link Below) called "High on the Hog". It is about how the slaves from 100s or years ago used the parts of animals that their owners didn't want to use to make some of the really popular foods that are still being made in the south, including in restaurants. When you say someone is eating "High on the Hog" comes from the fact that they are eating the good parts of the hog, not the feet, the head, the brains, the intestines (Chitlins) etc.

Watch High on the Hog: How African American Cuisine Transformed America | Netflix Official Site

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #276  
If you are looking for something to watch and you have Netflix, this is a really good series (Link Below) called "High on the Hog". It is about how the slaves from 100s or years ago used the parts of animals that their owners didn't want to use to make some of the really popular foods that are still being made in the south, including in restaurants. When you say someone is eating "High on the Hog" comes from the fact that they are eating the good parts of the hog, not the feet, the head, the brains, the intestines (Chitlins) etc.

Watch High on the Hog: How African American Cuisine Transformed America | Netflix Official Site
I wonder if ribs were in that group back then?

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #277  
Mountain oysters and pork brains. Pork brains were so rich that we couldn't eat much but they were good.

Something else that I never ate that my brother did were squirrel brains and their tongue. I guess for some people eating squirrel would be bad enough.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #278  
Mountain oysters and pork brains. Pork brains were so rich that we couldn't eat much but they were good.

Something else that I never ate that my brother did were squirrel brains and their tongue. I guess for some people eating squirrel would be bad enough.
Never had pig brains but as a child did have beef brains & eggs scrambled together as well as squirrel brains.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #280  
We butchered a hog very fall for ourselves. Hog jowls are excellent - much better than pork chops as I recall. Head cheese was popular. We didn’t make blood pudding - think my Grandmother did but she passed away before I was born.
One of our favourite snacks was pork fat & molasses on bread - both sides of the family loved it.