Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #321  
Even C Rats in the late 60s to mid 70's were pretty good if you were hungry enough.
One of the few reality shows we enjoy is the Amazing Race. Every season there's at least one challenge where the teams have to eat some (usually gross) ethnic food.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #322  
When I was young my neighbor widow had a very nice elderly black lady who worked for her, doing cleaning, laundry and cooking. Once a week I would drive her helper to the grocery to pick up her food for the week. Her helper picked up 2 big brown paper bags of food, one for her boss and one to bring home for herself. Her bags were always full of canned dog food. About a year later I discovered that she never had a dog.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #323  
When I was young my neighbor widow had a very nice elderly black lady who worked for her, doing cleaning, laundry and cooking. Once a week I would drive her helper to the grocery to pick up her food for the week. Her helper picked up 2 big brown paper bags of food, one for her boss and one to bring home for herself. Her bags were always full of canned dog food. About a year later I discovered that she never had a dog.
Don't know about dogfood pricing, but cat food isn't all that cheap! You'd think she could have bought canned human food (soup, chili, even [ugh] spaghetti-o's) for the same price. Canned pet food even smells nasty.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #324  
One thing you don't see in stores anymore are sunflower seeds. Maybe some in cellophane bags still in the shell, but jarred ones seem to have disappeared 8-10 years ago. No idea why, maybe they didn't sell?

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #325  
On the dog food/cat food VS other foods issue, I was just thinking at the Meijer store last night that $1.29 for a box of Rice Pilaf isn't bad at all and I'd get 3-4 large servings of it. Cat food is $1.59 for a can that's only 1 serving.

So, if I'm down on my luck, I'd go with rice and beans VS dog or cat food. Just saying.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #326  
One thing you don't see in stores anymore are sunflower seeds. Maybe some in cellophane bags still in the shell, but jarred ones seem to have disappeared 8-10 years ago. No idea why, maybe they didn't sell?
Hmmm.... our local grocery stores/Walmart/Target have both name brand and store brand sunflower kernels in stock. We usually have some in the house for salads and such. They also have the ones still in the shells.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #327  
I'm guessing this was long enough ago that canned dog food was still made from wild mustangs and you could get a case for like 2 bucks or 20 cents a can individually. So ... either she liked organic horse meat or she liked the price. Canned meat for humans isn't much different, only has more spices added... mainly salt.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #328  
Hmmm.... our local grocery stores/Walmart/Target have both name brand and store brand sunflower kernels in stock. We usually have some in the house for salads and such. They also have the ones still in the shells.
I wonder if it's regional? No Target around here, but haven't seen them at either the supermarket or Walmart in several years. Dollar General had them in very small jars for a while, but it's been years since they've had them either.
I'm talking about the ones in jars (salted/unsalted, no shells).

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #329  
I wonder if it's regional? No Target around here, but haven't seen them at either the supermarket or Walmart in several years. Dollar General had them in very small jars for a while, but it's been years since they've had them either.
I'm talking about the ones in jars (salted/unsalted, no shells).
Yep. That's what I'm looking at, too.

You could order them online for delivery. You could also order them through Walmart for local pickup.

/ Foods you ate growing up that most folks don't eat today #330  
F6F8FF54-168B-4A37-927A-0AF6B4442005.jpeg