Foot Throttle ?

/ Foot Throttle ? #1  

countrybumpkin

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti, kubota
Just curious if anyone has modified there foot throttle to improve the peddle position? The new kioti NX5510 cab I just bought has the foot throttle really hi off the floor and too close to the seat for me to comfortably use. It's drive by wire so no linkage the rod comes right off the side of the switch mounted under the dash.

/ Foot Throttle ? #2  
I have a new DS4510HS with the same positioning problem. Mine may be quite different from yours, as it is a simple cable system.
For me, not only is the pedal too high but it is way too close to the brake pedals. The shaft is made from a very hard steel, but with some heat and a bit of care, I'm sure it can be re-shaped to get it in a comfortable position. If the rod loses it's temper & gets too soft to hold its shape, I'll fabricate a new one.
I cold bent it a bit today, but wasn't able to get it where I wanted it & started to bend the attach bracket.
I think I'll make up a "pattern" using some soft steel rod & use the pattern to get the new bends in the right places.
Good luck with yours... So far, this is the only thing I have to complain about on my tractor. P*ss poor bit of design, but should be a minor issue to fix. (Famous last words?)

/ Foot Throttle ?
Yeah, I haven't really looked at how or where I really would like the pedal to be yet, been hooking up new led lights, cameras, monitor, radio, and dvd. But that will be my next major modification. A few of the other brands I looked at had the same issue for my liking, but that is some thing I can easily change. I'll post more as I get to working on the modification

/ Foot Throttle ? #4  
DVD...That's a joke, right? Or did you really put a DVD player in your tractor??

/ Foot Throttle ?
No actually I am, it's not for watching but more for listening, I do it all the time in the house or shop with movies or racing vids I've watched dozens of times. Gives you something else besides the radio when you are in the cab for 10 - 12 hour days.

/ Foot Throttle ? #6  
Not having seen your setup, I'd say it would be simple to modify. Just be careful about changing the length of the pedal arm, which will definitely change the amount of movement required.

On my old Ford which is mechanical linkage, I changed the length of an arm to change the ratio, requiring less pedal movement to get thru the range of the injector pump arm and lowering the start point of the pedal.

My Kubota has a very nice foot throttle. Good placement. Good height. And perfect range of motion required.

At the end of the day, little things like this can make the memory pleasurable or painful.

/ Foot Throttle ?
Yep I use it all the time if not doing something that requires a set position for any length of time. The open station kubota I have is far enough out and through the floor that I can rest my heel on floor board and just rock my foot back and forth. The new one you have to hold your foot up off the floor.

/ Foot Throttle ? #8  
Bummer, I wouldn't like that at all. I'm just like you. Only time I use the hand throttle is for PTO work or roading the tractor.

/ Foot Throttle ? #9  
Well... I said I'd post pics when I got the throttle pedal where I wanted it, so here goes...
It ain't pretty, but it works fine. First, I put a piece of card stock under the pedal & traced out the original position. Then I sat in the seat & had my wife put an X on the paper, just below the ball of my foot in the most comfortable position I could find. Then I drew the pedal in the new spot & played connect the dots, ending up with a change in length & a change in angle of the first bend. I removed the pedal assembly & heated the first bend to dull red with a propane torch. It bent real easily & after spritzing it cool with water, it seems to have retained its temper. I made one cut & overlapped the two pieces about 1 3/4". Clamped them down to the bench with about 5 degree tilt down on the pedal at my buddy's welding shop & he welded the pieces back together. I may adjust it a bit more to get the pedal a bit lower, but its pretty much perfect (for me & my screwed up right foot) as it is.
It sure is nice to have a foot throttle. Was a real pain before the change.
The scraps of plywood are only there to give some contrast to the background.

photo1-2.jpg

photo2-1.jpg

I also did a quick & dirty lever extension for the new rear remote valve. I picked up a length of 5/16" steel rod at Lordco & bent a short piece to the angle I wanted. Threaded the end for a reddi-rod (Allthread, south of the border) "long nut" to connect the two pieces. I didn't have an 8mm die, so I just drilled out the threads halfway through the nut, roughed up the surface of the original lever & epoxied the pieces together. The threaded section is locked with a jam nut. The original rubber handle fits fine, so no change there. Easy & effective with almost no metalworking tools available. (My shop is currently dedicated to fine woodworking, but thats going to have to change a bit)

photo4-3.jpg

As you can see from the pics, it's STILL raining here. Almost wishing for some snow, just for a change of pace!
Cheers. Dan

/ Foot Throttle ? #10  
I discovered today that my insulated muck boots catch on the block casting in front of the foot throttle if I don't watch my heel position.

I'll probably do something to prevent that before too long. I'd been considering adding a pad, as JD's use a bent bar with a rubber cap, and the previous owner did away with that before I got it.