Ford 1210 muffler

/ Ford 1210 muffler #1  

tree grower

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 1210, Bobcat 742B, John Deere 1050
The original muffler on my 1210 became clogged at about 1000 hours (about 1500 hours ago). A correct replacement cost several hundred $$ at the time, and it appears that today they are not even listed. I have since used a generic replacement which is just a straight pipe with some insulation around it. The original unit was very, very quiet and the replacement is little better than no muffler at all. I really dislike the loud sound of this little engine, and am inclined to build my own muffler. I watched a couple Youtube videos, but those mufflers were still too loud. Any recommendations?

/ Ford 1210 muffler
Was not aware of such a thing. I'll check it out

/ Ford 1210 muffler #4  
Generally the larger the internal volume (space) of the muffler the quieter it is

/ Ford 1210 muffler
That's good to know as I work on my custom design.

/ Ford 1210 muffler #6  
I would think a much simpler solution is to choose the largest internal volume muffler by dimension with the correct inlet size out of a muffler catalog that will clear your hood/loader/etc.
Not only is there a large number of iterative design features and a substantial amount of science that goes into properly designed mufflers, but you also get it all aluminized or stainless from the factory. I would think a commercial one would likely work better and last longer. Maybe just need to weld/clamp on a flange and tip.

Google "mufflers by dimension" and a number of manufacturers come up. First result for me was Walker and there are lots of designs/sizes/options for example

/ Ford 1210 muffler #7  
My Ford 1100 has a 1210 muffler on it, with an adapter that I built to go from the different bolt pattern sizes.
I caught the 1100 on a tree and ripped it in the middle, and found a 1210 in a tractor salvage yard that "looked the same" so I bought it. Turned out that the pipe size was different as well as the flange that bolts it to the exhaust pipe. So I built an adapter and installed it. It has been on their for over 10 years.
David from jax

/ Ford 1210 muffler #8  
How about this? I know it’s vertical, but it is something to work with:

/ Ford 1210 muffler #9  
It clogged up 1500 hours ago? The math don't work out on that.