Ford 1700 fuel injection question

/ Ford 1700 fuel injection question #1  

geozeitl

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1700
Hopefully finishing up a rebuild on my ford 1700. All timing marks are right on. Had fuel injector rebuilt also. Before l put the head on l wanted to see when the fuel is injected to the cylinder.While turning the crank l could see fuel popping out of the pump fittings where the fuel line is. The cylinder postion was only 1/4 way to TDC when the fuel would pop out,would that be about right ?

/ Ford 1700 fuel injection question
Hopefully finishing up a rebuild on my ford 1700. All timing marks are right on. Had fuel injector rebuilt also. Before l put the head on l wanted to see when the fuel is injected to the cylinder.While turning the crank l could see fuel popping out of the pump fittings where the fuel line is. The cylinder postion was only 1/4 way to TDC when the fuel would pop out,would that be about right ?
Just hoping fuel injector pump rebuild don't affect the timing

/ Ford 1700 fuel injection question #3  
I have not done that particular job. Can post the timing procedure later tomorrow. The injector repair should not affect the timing. it should be timed with cam shaft and crank shaft gears on the tractor . If you put witness make on gear location against the cover and other gears on disassembly then the timing the not be affected. Minor adjustment of the pump externally could advance or ****** spray timing for fine tuning. For that you would use timing mark on the crank shaft notch. Again, I have not done that and what I said is based on the reading the manual. Did the injector open up in the down stroke or up stroke of the piston?

I have not done that particular job. Can post the timing procedure later tomorrow. The injector repair should not affect the timing. it should be timed with cam shaft and crank shaft gears on the tractor . If you put witness make on gear location against the cover and other gears on disassembly then the timing the not be affected. Minor adjustment of the pump externally could advance or ****** spray timing for fine tuning. For that you would use timing mark on the crank shaft notch. Again, I have not done that and what I said is based on the reading the manual. Did the injector open up in the down stroke or up stroke of the piston?
It was on the up stroke

JC you helped me with posts before thanks, do you still have your ford 1700

/ Ford 1700 fuel injection question #6  
JC you helped me with posts before thanks, do you still have your ford 1700
sure , yes I do, No plan to ever part with it if I have a say in it.:D

Can dig up parts in the manual on how to fine tune the pump if you would like.

Sure thanks , some people that have the 1700 never seem to have issues, me on the other hand, I'll have a degree in diesel mechanics when lm done with her

/ Ford 1700 fuel injection question #8  
Sure thanks , some people that have the 1700 never seem to have issues, me on the other hand, I'll have a degree in diesel mechanics when lm done with her
I have had some minor issues with mine, but they were all wear and tear and age related stuff plus some very basic routine. I try to learn as much as I could to avoid overheating, engine lubrication and injector pump issues. Make sure you have 2 oz of the same engine oil in your injector pump as it does not share oil with crankcase. Attached you'll find info you need.

Attachments

• P48-49.pdf
    798.1 KB · Views: 73
I have had some minor issues with mine, but they were all wear and tear and age related stuff plus some very basic routine. I try to learn as much as I could to avoid overheating, engine lubrication and injector pump issues. Make sure you have 2 oz of the same engine oil in your injector pump as it does not share oil with crankcase. Attached you'll find info you need.
Thanks what did you do to prevent overheating issues, l know it's something to watch for on this model with cracks in the head

Thanks what did you do to prevent overheating issues, l know it's something to watch for on this model with cracks in the head
I never liked the battery placement on mine ,right in front of the radiator, you think you would want a free flow of
air across the whole thing