Ford 1700 fuel injection question

/ Ford 1700 fuel injection question #11  
I never liked the battery placement on mine ,right in front of the radiator, you think you would want a free flow of
air across the whole thing
You would think that, but at the same time many makes and models have it there for ease of access and plus where else could they put it ? on a bigger rig they might have more option. I actually other than middle of summer put a 8x8 or 12x12 piece of cardboard between the radiator and the screen in front of it. That allows my rig to come to normal operating temp as diesel would not like to operate cold. My radiator and block is clean and I use leaf blower almost after each use to clean out seeds and derbies so intentionally blocking some air works to my advantage. On my Kubota, it is even harder to bring it to temp for most of the work I do , so blocking the radiator partially is a way to go. Saying that I always have my eyes on the temp gauge.

/ Ford 1700 fuel injection question #12  
Thanks what did you do to prevent overheating issues, l know it's something to watch for on this model with cracks in the head
Refer to post #11. I have cleand and flushed block and radiator. I have an overflow for my radiator than I can watch very easily. Tractor is always parked in the barn, so if I have a leak I know. I do have a habit of constantly keep an eye on analog temp gauge, prefer them over idiot light any day. You will be surprised even with screen how much of fine dirt fins collect and as they accumulate causes overheating. I keep an eye on water pump also and since I am not making money using my rigs hardly ever do it in a hurry. I check oil and water very frequently almost always before I get on the seat for most parts.

Last edited:
   / Ford 1700 fuel injection question
Good to know, do you use any attachments with it

/ Ford 1700 fuel injection question #14  
The battery on my Ford 1310 is also forward of radiator and it's never been an issue as far as blocking air flow.

The only time screen in front of the radiator tends to clog up often enough to be an issue is when mowing pasture of tall hay in mid or late summer, but I think that would happen with most ordinary tractors.

IMG_4425 II.jpg

Hey thanks for the info, would always think during the summer months it cause alot more heat build up

/ Ford 1700 fuel injection question #16  
Good to know, do you use any attachments with it
I use all the attachment in my signature with the exception of the dirt scoop since I have a loader tractor for the last 9 years. All my implement is sized to match my Ford 1700.

/ Ford 1700 fuel injection question #17  
Hopefully finishing up a rebuild on my ford 1700. All timing marks are right on. Had fuel injector rebuilt also. Before l put the head on l wanted to see when the fuel is injected to the cylinder. While turning the crank l could see fuel popping out of the pump fittings where the fuel line is. The cylinder postion was only 1/4 way to TDC when the fuel would pop out, would that be about right ?
The pump timing is advanced so the injector should start fueling before TDC on the compression stroke to allow for the time of injection (it's not instantaneous) plus a lag for compression ignition of the fuel. I believe the static timing is around 26° BTDC. I'm not sure what that would be in stroke but it seem like it would be 180°-26° = 154°░in crankshaft degrees.
However, you were looking at the pump output not the injector output. You should hook up the injectors to the pump and then run the experiment. It takes some pressure to fire the injectors.

Last edited:
The pump timing is advanced so the injector should start fueling before TDC on the compression stroke to allow for the time of injection (it's not instantaneous) plus a lag for compression ignition of the fuel. I believe the static timing is around 26° BTDC. I'm not sure what that would be in stroke but it seem like it would be 180°-26° = 154°░in crankshaft degrees.
However, you were looking at the pump output not the injector output. You should hook up the injectors to the pump and then run the experiment. It takes some pressure to fire the injectors.
Thanks Jerry, my cylinder head should be back today. I'll try before I put it back on