Ford 1715 Implements?

/ Ford 1715 Implements? #1  

ssramage

Tractor
Ford 1715
Looking at purchasing some implements for a newly acquired Ford 1715. This is my 1st tractor that I've personally owned so learning as I go. Need some recommendations on brands/sizes for the following:

- Rotary Cutter
- Landscape Rake
- Tiller or Disc Harrows (need for food plot work - would probably buy a set of discs, or rent the tiller)

Thanks for any help! I want to make sure I'm looking at quality, hopefully budget friendly brands and also the correct sizes of each for my tractor.

/ Ford 1715 Implements? #2  

Ford 1715 Dimensions​

Ford 1715 tractor photo
1992 - 1997
Fifteen Compact Series
Compact Utility tractor
Shibaura built

Dimensions
Wheelbase:63 inches
160 cm
Length:112.4 inches
285 cm
Width:51.3 inches
130 cm
Height (ROPS):84.4 inches
214 cm
2WD Shipping weight:1929 lbs
874 kg
4WD Shipping weight:2116 lbs
959 kg
2WD Ground clearance:11.6 inches
29 cm
4WD Ground clearance:11.2 inches
28 cm
2WD Front tread:40.2 to 42.2 inches
102 to 107 cm
4WD Front tread:42.4 inches
107 cm
2WD Rear tread:42.2 to 48.2 inches
107 to 122 cm
4WD Rear tread:41.1 to 47.1 inches
104 to 119 cm

Congratulations on your first tractor.

The the Ford 2-WD or 4-WD?

The fundamental importance of TRACTOR WEIGHT eludes many tractor shoppers. Tractor capability is more closely correlated to tractor weight than any other single specification.

Your tractor does not have enough weight to pull a Disc Harrow heavy enough to cut-in food plots. For that you need a tractor of around 4,000 pounds bare tractor weight with 4-WD and a Disc Harrow of 1,200 pounds.

Consider buying a PTO powered roto-tiller or using a Middlebuster to pseudo-mix the soil. The forward rotating tines of roto-tillers push the tractor forward.
MIDDLEBUSTER VIDEOS: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=middlebuster+plowing

Most food plot seeds are eager germinators.

Consider a Cultipacker or a poly roller to press food plot seeds into the soil. These two implements create minimal draft force resistance.

CULTPACKER VIDEOS: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=compact+tractor+cultipacker

Attachments

• DSC00445.JPG
    DSC00445.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 331

MORE FROM T-B-N ARCHIVE: Best equipment for starting food plots?

Last edited:
   / Ford 1715 Implements? #3  
Implement availability is regional. What is your location?

If you will post here regularly enter your LOCATION into your T-B-N PROFILE.

/ Ford 1715 Implements?
Thanks! It's a 2wd version. I live in Southeast GA. Most of the food plot work done will be on fairly soft soil. I'm leaning towards the rototiller, but it's obviously a bigger investment than a set of discs. Most of the guys in my club use discs but their tractors are also significantly bigger.

/ Ford 1715 Implements? #5  
Most of the guys in my club use discs but their tractors are also significantly bigger.

Bigger is not the issue for traction. Tractor weight is the issue.
The heavier tractors pulling Disc Harrows are likely 4-WD too.

Your tractor does not have enough weight to pull a Disc Harrow heavy enough to cut-in food plots. For that you need a tractor of around 4,000 pounds bare tractor weight with 4-WD and a Disc Harrow of 1,200 pounds.

Last edited:
   / Ford 1715 Implements? #6  
Congrats. My first tractor - brand new 1982 Ford 1700 4WD. Kept it 27 years. From experience - your 2WD tractor will not have sufficient traction to pull a heavy enough disk harrow to do much good. I still have my Land Pride 1048 set of disks. It's the last implement that I need to sell and upgrade.

Find a good PTO driven rototiller. You will be worlds ahead.

/ Ford 1715 Implements? #7  
You can also used a moldboard plow. You'd have to work it down to seedbed after the plowing, but it would get you turned over. You could likely handle a light disk after plowing to knock it down somewhat. As others have stated, weight is an issue. I wouldn't get too hung up on the 4wd vs 2wd. There have been 2wd machines working the dirt for a long long time before everyone HAD to have 4wd.

/ Ford 1715 Implements? #8  
I DID go the way toolslinger suggests. I have a single bottom moldboard plow. I could have pulled a two bottom also. So.. first break the soil with the plow and then hit it with the disk harrow. I was developing a garden plot in an area where the soil had NEVER been broken. About 80 by 120.

The second year I got a Troy Bilt Horse - walk behind rototiller. Much easier to use in confined spaces.

/ Ford 1715 Implements? #9