Ford 1910 Fuel in the Oil and Puking Out Breather Tube

/ Ford 1910 Fuel in the Oil and Puking Out Breather Tube #1  

fourbrads

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 1910
My tractor sits a lot but is in great shape. It's a 1984 Shibaura (Ford) model 1910 3 cyl diesel.

It starts but is reluctant to do so. Takes about 20-30 seconds of cranking (after 10 seconds of glow plug warm-up) when cold to get it to catch. The other day, while I was using it and the engine was up to temp, I noticed it puking "watery" oil out of the breather tube that goes to the head cover. Checked the dipstick and it was way over full of the watery oil.

First, what's likely wrong? I won't start it again until I change the oil, but I need to find the root cause.

Second, what's a good source for parts like injectors? I see lots of 20-series parts online, but not much out there for the 10-series.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

/ Ford 1910 Fuel in the Oil and Puking Out Breather Tube #2  
Is your antifreeze level low?

Can you smell any diesel in the "watery oil mix" this would be my guess as to what's in your oil? This could possibly be caused by a leaking seal in your pump.

I'm sure others will ask additional questions.

/ Ford 1910 Fuel in the Oil and Puking Out Breather Tube
Antifreeze is full. The oil smells like diesel. No foam or froth.

Assuming you mean the diesel injector pump?

/ Ford 1910 Fuel in the Oil and Puking Out Breather Tube #4  
Yes, the injector pump.

Here are a few posts to review:

Thanks for these. Sounds like the right course of action would be to check/test the lift pump (if it has one - guess that's step one) then see about rebuilding the injector pump?

/ Ford 1910 Fuel in the Oil and Puking Out Breather Tube #6  
If your tractor has a lift pump check the diaphragm for any holes. It likely has a pin hole which would cause diesel to leak into the engine oil. Better yet order the seals before disassembly and replace. Always check the oil before running the tractor. A good habit. You’ve no idea how close you’ve come to a “runaway”….😉

/ Ford 1910 Fuel in the Oil and Puking Out Breather Tube #7  
If it isn't smoking I would not think the pump needs rebuilt. Does the inj pump have its own crank case and oil level? Our old Ford's do. This sounds like something you can fix without removing the pump. We nave a 1900 we bought new in 1980. Never started quick since new. Have the hit the glow plugs even in summer. Just put the third water pump on it. My grandaddy truck patched 40 acres with it for 10 years, so it has worked. Just replaced the original tires this year too. We also had 4 Tyson layer houses for years. It has done it's share. Plus we still do a large garden with it. It's our post hole driller too.

/ Ford 1910 Fuel in the Oil and Puking Out Breather Tube #8  
If your tractor has a lift pump check the diaphragm for any holes. It likely has a pin hole which would cause diesel to leak into the engine oil. Better yet order the seals before disassembly and replace. Always check the oil before running the tractor. A good habit. You’ve no idea how close you’ve come to a “runaway”….😉
Not sure about a run away but spun bearings for sure. First thing I ALWAYS do before starting either of mine is I check the engine oil and transmission oil and thump the tires.

It doesn't smoke, so that's good. Not sure about whether the pump has it's own crankcase and oil. I'll go check.

Maybe there's a way to add a photo that would help on here. I'll give it a try.

And I'll see if I can identify if it has a lift pump.

Not sure about a run away but spun bearings for sure. First thing I ALWAYS do before starting either of mine is I check the engine oil and transmission oil and thump the tires.
Good advice. Thanks.