Ford 1920 antifreeze leak at block fitting

/ Ford 1920 antifreeze leak at block fitting #1  

thattaway

Tractor
ford 1920
Anyone got advice on how to go about fixing this leak at the engine block fitting? Slow antifreeze leaking from here, several drips after shut down. Will empty reservoir after a couple months. Finally got around to cleaning this area and finding the leak source. Thanks in advance for any help with this.
52742609454_5b8ea5c32a_c.jpg

/ Ford 1920 antifreeze leak at block fitting #2  
Soak the fitting with PBlaster and remove it and reseal with pipe dope or tape and loose that worthless Fram oil filter too. They are junk. Get an OEM filter or at least a Baldwin.

/ Ford 1920 antifreeze leak at block fitting #3  
I would just drain radiator by it's fitting in to a 5 Gall clean bucket to get the water level below the leaking fitting. I will then remove the fitting, use wire brush on a dremmel tool and clean the fitting and threads. I will then add a litle bit of teflon tap or paste and put the fitting back and tighten it. If you use Teflon tape then make sure to wrap the teflon counter clockwise so as you tighten it would not unravel. Should be pretty easy fix.

/ Ford 1920 antifreeze leak at block fitting #4  
Ditto on Fram, although I did use it myself for some years when did not know better. Wix is a great choice and O-Riley carry them along with their re-badged Wix with store brand. They are very good.

/ Ford 1920 antifreeze leak at block fitting
Thanks for the replies and will use wix filter next oil change. Any special wrench I should use on that fitting? Attempt removal while engine is warm or cold? It's in a fairly tight spot. Appreciate the advice folks.

/ Ford 1920 antifreeze leak at block fitting #6  
May have to heat the fitting after draining the coolant if PB Blaster or similar doesn’t work.

/ Ford 1920 antifreeze leak at block fitting #7  
That was a common leak for NH Boomer tractors too. The fitting is made from zinc so it will corrode where it touches the iron. I took a 1-1/16" 6-point impact socket and cut a slot up the side to miss the nipple. Be sure to cut the slot on the hex point and not the flat.

NH block coolant bib 001_1.JPG

/ Ford 1920 antifreeze leak at block fitting #8  
You also may be able to use a flare nut wrench
1678632776886.png

/ Ford 1920 antifreeze leak at block fitting #9  
I replaced my coolant bib with brass fittings so I wouldn't have problems down the road.

/ Ford 1920 antifreeze leak at block fitting #10  
Thanks for the replies and will use wix filter next oil change. Any special wrench I should use on that fitting? Attempt removal while engine is warm or cold? It's in a fairly tight spot. Appreciate the advice folks.
Certainly on cold block as there is more danger of damaging the fitting with hot block specially if fitting is too tight or stubborn. I have used W-D4 on fitting with success. Sometimes I take a heat gun and heat the joint some, not too hot and then use WD-4 and it appears to penetrate the stuck fitting easier. Crescent or very small pipe wrench can be used. You want to make sure not to be too aggressive to damage the fitting.