Ford 3000 gas to diesel conversion

/ Ford 3000 gas to diesel conversion #1  

strum456

Platinum Member
Tractor
Fords
I am trying to figure out how I want to handle the air cleaner conversion. The gas 3000 is all painted or I would not hesitate to install the oil bath air cleaner that I have up front.

/ Ford 3000 gas to diesel conversion #2  
Can you finagle ducting to get the gas filter to line up with the diesel intake?

/ Ford 3000 gas to diesel conversion
I'm sure it can and has been done. I'm hoping to find someone who has done it that would be willing to share info / pictures.

/ Ford 3000 gas to diesel conversion #4  
We put a diesel 4000 motor. We ended up using pvc. After 3 years the pvc is all bent, but works. If you have the pipe for the carb, at the top of that do a 90 degree pipe, then straight piece to the radiator, 90 pointing to the radiator cap, straight piece, then another 90 pointing to the nose of the tractor
IMG_2485_Original.jpg

/ Ford 3000 gas to diesel conversion #5  
As Mike did, you may have to get a bit creative and think outside the box. I don't have pictures but for my Mitsubishi tractor I relocated the air cleaner to one side then used a fairly large diameter L shaped radiator hose from the air cleaner to the air intake. When done it actually looked like it belonged there. I did have to cut one side a couple inches shorter to allow the hood to close.

/ Ford 3000 gas to diesel conversion
Thank you for sharing! That looks like a cheap and relatively easy solution. I am doing the same thing- a 4000 diesel engine in a 3000.

/ Ford 3000 gas to diesel conversion #7  
We put a diesel 4000 motor. We ended up using pvc. After 3 years the pvc is all bent, but works. If you have the pipe for the carb, at the top of that do a 90 degree pipe, then straight piece to the radiator, 90 pointing to the radiator cap, straight piece, then another 90 pointing to the nose of the tractor View attachment 732855
PVC deforms with heat and thus requires CPVC for hot water installations. However for what you are doing, I wouldn't worry about a little deformation, especially with Schedule 40 pipe, and if it sags too much, either put some braces under it or hangers from the hood. Sounds like a good idea. The main thing is ensure that you have your air filter connected to the engine air intake. When I bought my 3000 the top end was shot because the PO ran in a dirty environment without the rubber hose connecting the oil sump air cleaner to the intake manifold.