Ford 4000 Clutch - Hard to Operate

/ Ford 4000 Clutch - Hard to Operate #1  

keg99

Tractor
New Holland TC40DA
Just bought a 1964 Ford 4000 (gas version). The clutch has two issues that may (or may not) be related. The clutch pedal is very hard to push/disengage. Almost have to stand up on the pedal to depress it. Is there a way to adjust the spring tension on the clutch pedal?

The other issue is the clutch is very "jumpy". It engages hard, with very little travel space between disengaged and fully engaged. This makes the tractor jump hard when starting to drive. Might there be an adjustment for clutch travel?

/ Ford 4000 Clutch - Hard to Operate #2  
Just bought a 1964 Ford 4000 (gas version). The clutch has two issues that may (or may not) be related. The clutch pedal is very hard to push/disengage. Almost have to stand up on the pedal to depress it. Is there a way to adjust the spring tension on the clutch pedal?

The other issue is the clutch is very "jumpy". It engages hard, with very little travel space between disengaged and fully engaged. This makes the tractor jump hard when starting to drive. Might there be an adjustment for clutch travel?
It sounds like it's time to seperate the engine from the transmission. We just ran into this with our old MF. Water was coming in at that point and the rust had made a mess inside.

/ Ford 4000 Clutch - Hard to Operate #3  

You have a 58 year old tractor so It's not hard to imagine that a bunch of crap and corruption might have accumulated on the transmission input shaft and/or the bushings supporting the linkage pins in the bell housing case. IIRC, the throw out bearing assembly rides on the input shaft so if that shaft has a lot of stuff on it, it may not allow the bearing to slide full forward when you depress the clutch pedal. Have you tried adjusting the clutch free play to make it less jumpy?

Also the bushings that the linkage rides on in the transmission case can be corroded requiting a lot of force to rotate the shaft.

If the housing has any access holes (I'm not familiar with the 4000 details) you might be able to spray brake cleaner , etc on the shaft to clean some of that off. Otherwise you are looking to split the tractor to get access.

You might try yesterdays tractors for more advise.

Last edited:
   / Ford 4000 Clutch - Hard to Operate
Thanks Gale and Jerry. Good suggestions. Obviously not wanting to split the case, but it is an old tractor that appears to have spent much of its life sitting in the great outdoors. I'll take a look at the access panel to see what I can see.

/ Ford 4000 Clutch - Hard to Operate #5  
You might try yesterdays tractors for more advise.

BUYER BEWARE!!! I have been waiting on a refund from Yesterdays Tractors for a month now. The accepted my return but won't refund the money back to my credit card. Use caution if ordering from them!