ford 4000 transmission input shaft

/ ford 4000 transmission input shaft #1  

Jbrandon

Tractor
Massey ferguson 35 deluxe, Ford 4000
I have a 1970 3 cylinder diesel that i split to replace clutch. The transmission input shaft and pto shaft are real loose inside of the cllutch release bearing support. Is this a sign of bad bearing or will it tighten up when clutch is installed and tractor put back together? When i bought it there was a light knock while running and clutch petal would jump up and down everytime it knocked.

/ ford 4000 transmission input shaft #2  
I have not split one of these tractors so I can’t say for sure but a loose input shaft does not sound right. I have replaced clutches in numerous different vehicles and there has never been a “sloppy” input shaft.

/ ford 4000 transmission input shaft #3  
The clutch disc and pressure plate support the front of the shafts when the tractor is assembled. If there is no evidence of oil leakage there's no worries. If there is leakage, inspect the bearings during seal replacement.

/ ford 4000 transmission input shaft #4  
The clutch disc and pressure plate support the front of the shafts when the tractor is assembled. If there is no evidence of oil leakage there's no worries. If there is leakage, inspect the bearings during seal replacement.
I hope the OP got it fixed by now but the clutch and pressure plate don't support squat. The pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel and is independent of the shaft--It doesn't touch the shaft. The clutch disc floats on the shaft. The disc goes where the shaft goes. The shaft is supported by a bearing at the rear of the engine crankshaft.

That bearing is almost always replaced with the clutch as preventative maintenance. A pulsing pedal can be caused by that bearing, the clutch assembly or the clutch release bearing. If the clutch is knocking, it's probably the "pilot bearing" at the rear of the crankshaft.

/ ford 4000 transmission input shaft #5  
I hope the OP got it fixed by now but the clutch and pressure plate don't support squat. The pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel and is independent of the shaft--It doesn't touch the shaft. The clutch disc floats on the shaft. The disc goes where the shaft goes. The shaft is supported by a bearing at the rear of the engine crankshaft.

That bearing is almost always replaced with the clutch as preventative maintenance. A pulsing pedal can be caused by that bearing, the clutch assembly or the clutch release bearing. If the clutch is knocking, it's probably the "pilot bearing" at the rear of the crankshaft.
The hydraulic pump/PTO driveshaft is splined into the pressure plate cover. The PP supports that hollow shaft at the front and a single bearing supports it at the rear. Fact.
Your 3910 is EXACTLY the same.

/ ford 4000 transmission input shaft #6  
I have a 1970 3 cylinder diesel that i split to replace clutch. The transmission input shaft and pto shaft are real loose inside of the cllutch release bearing support. Is this a sign of bad bearing or will it tighten up when clutch is installed and tractor put back together? When i bought it there was a light knock while running and clutch petal would jump up and down everytime it knocked.
Nothing should be "loose" or floppy. Remove the throw-out bearing & carrier and the fork that connects the carrier to the clutch pedal via the shaft connected to the pedal. You may want to replace the throw-out bearing as long as you are split. Remove the 5 bolts for the support tube around the PTO input shaft. the support tube will come out with the PTO input shaft inside. There is a big seal and ball bearing in that PTO input assembly. These are inexpensive parts compared to the transmission gear and PTO input shaft so replace them while you are in there. Maybe your bearing is warn and the PTO input shaft gear to transmission engagement isn't being supported by the bearing properly? The bearing and seal is $30 if I recall and you will see with your eyes and feel and hear if the bearing is needing replacement. When I look into my trans from either end, there is no noticeable pattern of wear on the gear teeth. This says a lot about the quality of the metal, hardening, gear cutting on these parts, nothing today has that level of quality so do yourself a solid and replace those parts and enjoy a nice working PTO and drive clutch in these great machines. The PTO support sleeve has a gasket where it bolts up to the bell housing, don't forget to replace it.

Last edited:
   / ford 4000 transmission input shaft
Thanks for the information Henry IV. We are in the middle of peanut harvest right now. I will check it out later this fall.