ford 515 brakes

/ ford 515 brakes #1  

wes hardin

Tractor
ford 515
ok, you guys are very helpfull. glad i found this site. now then, on the rear end where the brake rods go in ,, how do i change the seal. it looks like a boot. or is there a seal behind the boot, thanks, wes

/ ford 515 brakes #2  
Wes, are you talking about part #19 in this diagram? It appears to be a rubber boot type seal that goes over the rod #16

Attachments

• 515Brakes.jpg
    515Brakes.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 238
   / ford 515 brakes #4  
no the boot is the seal u change it by removing the brake rod adjuster the is contected to the brake pedal and then all u need to do is remove the boot by pulling the boot out with a screw driver under the lip it is really easy to change

/ ford 515 brakes #5  
#19 is the boot. Run it up on a slope with the side you want to work on up hill. Remove the pin and unscrew the clevis from the #16 rod, noting very closely just where it was before you moved it. A prybar or chisel should pop the boot out of the hole, slide it down the shaft, and replace, tapping the new one in gently. A little oil on the rod helps. If you had enough of a slope, you won't loose any rear end oil. I did mine in about 20 min., but had to fiddle with the brake adjustments for a bit longer to get them right. You don't have to be very far off with that clevis to have a big impact on brake function. Nothing other than that boot to keep the oil in.

I'd avoid twisting on that rod (#16) any more than you have to if the clevis is stuck. Use a small pipe wrench or vise grips to hold it when wrenching on the end. If you happened to twist it off inside, you have to take about the entire rear end apart to access. I have a rear axle seal on my 4000 that leaks that I've been putting off fixing because of that...