Ford 6600 - 5000 internal hydraulic return filter

/ Ford 6600 - 5000 internal hydraulic return filter #1  

Ouchita

Tractor
Ford 6600, JD X540, Craftsman GT3000
IMG_5755.JPGIMG_5756.JPG

I have a 1994 Ford 6600. It is believed to be British made, basically a Ford 5000 with the bigger motor. I have been working on he hydraulics putting in new gaskets, changing the oil and cleaning the suction filter. After removing the hydraulic pump and the cover plate on the opposite side I discovered the return filter is adjacent to the hydraulic pump. On the original 6600's this filter was located to the rear of the tractor and could only be accessed by removing the lift cover. It appears that I could remove the filter if I can get it off. So riddle me this - how do you remove the filter? When I put a wrench to the brass nut on the bottom and apply force the upper metal tube moves - so back off do not break it. Do I need to put a wrench to the top nut and hold it while applying force to the brass nut? In the IT manual there is a picture showing this filter and a circlip on the bottom, absolutely nothing in the ford manuals. When I put my hand in there I can not feel anything but perhaps I need to push up harder on the brass valve to expose the circlip. This is my first time attaching pictures - hope it works.

/ Ford 6600 - 5000 internal hydraulic return filter #2  
I have seen that filter in 3 cylinders and don't remember it in 4 cylinder tractors, but it is a return filter with a back pressure relief at the bottom. Attached is the parts breakdown picture of one on a 4610.

ForumRunner_20150529_064301.png

/ Ford 6600 - 5000 internal hydraulic return filter
Thank you for your reply. The filter part number from your diagram is almost the same as a 5000, NNN832AA for the 4610 versus NNN832C for the 5000. It appears Ford used this same set up on many different models. Have you ever removed one of these filters?

/ Ford 6600 - 5000 internal hydraulic return filter #4  
It didn't show in the online parts book, but my old 10 series parts book included the Mexican built 5900, which is basically an updated 5000 built from 1985-1993 in Mexico and brought in as a stripped down 62 Hp tractor. Look at the parts diagram for it and you will see that the relief screws on to the pipe. The filter IS C5NNN832C which is replaced by 84277202. It is a bypass relief filter and does not really need to be serviced if it is in good shape and not full of garbage.
I didn't look at my 5000 service manual, but I can dig it out if you like to see if it shows anything.5900 3 pt.jpg

/ Ford 6600 - 5000 internal hydraulic return filter
Thanks, that will help with the removal. The screen on the suction pipe for the hydraulic pump was pretty well gooped up. I would guess that the return filter is in similar shape, no idea if anyone has ever changed it. I have the 5000 service manual and I could not find any mention of the filter. Thanks again for your help.

/ Ford 6600 - 5000 internal hydraulic return filter #7  
I'd be keeping up with how many turns I turn anything.