Ford 6610 with dual range synchromesh transmission, looking to buy, ANY CONCERNS ON T

/ Ford 6610 with dual range synchromesh transmission, looking to buy, ANY CONCERNS ON T #1  

Happy Gilmore

Veteran Member
Tractor
Ford 5610 Ford 4630 Ford 3930 MFWD w/ 7310 loader Ford 3930 Kubota BX1500 Kubota RTV 900XT Kubota F2680E 72"RD Ford 4610 Kubota KX121-3
IMG_2883.JPG
IMG_2881.JPG

Quick question, I'm looking at purchasing a 1990 Ford 6610 2wd, 2000 hrs, brand new 18.4-34 rears, barn kept straight machine. I can purchase for $7000. A great price. My only concern is I know nothing about the transmission, I believe it's a DUAL RANGE SYNCHROMESH, lever off the right side of steering column with a short lever just below it. My experience is with the 8+2 tranny on my Fords. Any experience with this transmission good or bad?

/ Ford 6610 with dual range synchromesh transmission, looking to buy, ANY CONCERNS ON T #2  
Nothing to be afraid of. Check for worn synchronizers, that's uncommon for this tranny. 4 reverse choices is nice as compared to the 8x2. A 6610 with single hydraulic pump is somewhat uncommon, especially when coupled with the upgraded trans. Does it have enough remote valves to suit you? they will be spendy to add. Does it have Dual Power?

/ Ford 6610 with dual range synchromesh transmission, looking to buy, ANY CONCERNS ON T
Hey Rick, I was hoping you'd chime in! I tried PMing you actually, but it wouldn't go through, lol. It does have 2 sets of of remotes, which will be fine for everything I have. What's the best way to check for worn synchronizers? I don't believe dual power, but I'm not familiar with what it is. Electric over on tranny for more gear options?

/ Ford 6610 with dual range synchromesh transmission, looking to buy, ANY CONCERNS ON T #4  
Would make a nice addition to the collection Happy!!! :)

/ Ford 6610 with dual range synchromesh transmission, looking to buy, ANY CONCERNS ON T #5  
Hey Rick, I was hoping you'd chime in! I tried PMing you actually, but it wouldn't go through, lol. It does have 2 sets of of remotes, which will be fine for everything I have. What's the best way to check for worn synchronizers? I don't believe dual power, but I'm not familiar with what it is. Electric over on tranny for more gear options?

Shift the 1-4 lever while the tractor is slowly rolling. The synchros should match up the different shaft/collar speeds and shift into gear without grinding. once in gear, it should stay there in a pull and during engine braking.

Dual Power would be a rocker switch to the left of the steering column. A single wire would enter the clutch housing below the throttle lever. Shift on the fly hi-lo.

/ Ford 6610 with dual range synchromesh transmission, looking to buy, ANY CONCERNS ON T
Shift the 1-4 lever while the tractor is slowly rolling. The synchros should match up the different shaft/collar speeds and shift into gear without grinding. once in gear, it should stay there in a pull and during engine braking.

Dual Power would be a rocker switch to the left of the steering column. A single wire would enter the clutch housing below the throttle lever. Shift on the fly hi-lo.

Thank you very much Rick! Now the seller is apparently backing out of our gentlemen's agreement and has a friend that wants it, says he'll let me know if he backs out. Kinda bummed! Not how I do business.

I managed something else unrelated though......

IMG_2886.JPG

IMG_2887.JPG

Left side drive sprocket is worn, but I have junker he's throwing in with a good sprocket.

/ Ford 6610 with dual range synchromesh transmission, looking to buy, ANY CONCERNS ON T #9  
You'll hafta start a thread about this one Happy. I don't care who you are, that thing is cool!!!!!! Start a thread and tell us all about it. :)

You'll hafta start a thread about this one Happy. I don't care who you are, that thing is cool!!!!!! Start a thread and tell us all about it. :)

I actually did over in Yanmar, unfamiliar waters, haha.