Ford 6610 wont run after pump rebuild

/ Ford 6610 wont run after pump rebuild #1  

Eleleven22 GA

Tractor
1978 Ford 6610
I've got what I believe is a 1978 model, I'm attaching photos in hopes someone can clarify for me. We've had the injection pump rebuilt at a reputable shop. The young man who is doing the work may have had some issues with the timing, I'm not sure. I've been asked to go take a look at the tractor this week. The point it is at now from my understanding is it will start for a moment then die. That's all the information I have right now. I'm going to start with making sure I've got a fully charged battery and cleaning the screen in the tank shut off valve and move downstream. Any help yall can offer I'd surely appreciate. Sorry for not having too much info, if I get more details I'll update this post, thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_20221003_180931.jpg
    IMG_20221003_180931.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_20221003_181114.jpg
    IMG_20221003_181114.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 94
   / Ford 6610 wont run after pump rebuild #2  
It is much newer than 1978. It is most likely a 6610S, built in Mexico around 2000 as it has an additional water separator at the bottom of the fuel system plumbing. It has an electric lift pump on top of the fuel filter. Much more going on than the old 6610 with the Lucas or Simms injection pump. May be a problem with the lift pump, but removing the supply line at the injection pump and checking flow will help eliminate any problem upstream. Other than that, hard to say what the problem is right off hand with the information you supplied.

/ Ford 6610 wont run after pump rebuild #3  
If it is a pump timing issue, you’ve got your hands full..
The pump has to be timed at the pump shop then locked..
The engine timing HAS TO BE SET CORRECTLY TO..
Then when the pump comes back locked.. it has to be torqued to the gear THEN unlocked..
Here’s hoping it’s a supply problem..

/ Ford 6610 wont run after pump rebuild #4  
Crack open the line at each injector as you crank to see if you have fuel. If not, work your way backwards.

/ Ford 6610 wont run after pump rebuild
It is much newer than 1978. It is most likely a 6610S, built in Mexico around 2000 as it has an additional water separator at the bottom of the fuel system plumbing. It has an electric lift pump on top of the fuel filter. Much more going on than the old 6610 with the Lucas or Simms injection pump. May be a problem with the lift pump, but removing the supply line at the injection pump and checking flow will help eliminate any problem upstream. Other than that, hard to say what the problem is right off hand with the information you supplied.
Thank you. I'll have eyes on it tomorrow and more information as well. I'm wondering if something wasn't simply overlooked. Starts right up then dies?
If it is a pump timing issue, you’ve got your hands full..
The pump has to be timed at the pump shop then locked..
The engine timing HAS TO BE SET CORRECTLY TO..
Then when the pump comes back locked.. it has to be torqued to the gear THEN unlocked..
Here’s hoping it’s a supply problem..
Thank you! Is there any way to confirm if it is a timing issue? I know the pump was rebuilt and bolted back up. I don't know what if any procedures where followed during the installation. Would it run at all if tye timing is off? From what I'm told it fires up then shuts down.

Crack open the line at each injector as you crank to see if you have fuel. If not, work your way backwards.
Thank You.
If there is fuel to each injector and the tractor is simply starting then shutting down, what's next? I'm thinking it's not flowing enough or possibly an obstruction. Hopefully not a timing issue but I believe at that point I might refer them to a pro. I don't want to add to their problems.

/ Ford 6610 wont run after pump rebuild #7  
Try running a hot wire from the battery to the shut off solenoid on the pump..
Just to eliminate a safety switch triggering..

Can't thank yall enough for sharing your knowledge with me.
If that does the trick does it indicate a bad solenoid?

/ Ford 6610 wont run after pump rebuild #9  
It’s either a weak solenoid or your losing voltage TO the solenoid..

/ Ford 6610 wont run after pump rebuild #10  

Be very carefully with this. I am not familiar with what solenoid is used on this diesel pump. Some solenoids are energized to open the fuel rack. Some are energized to temporarily close the fuel rack. Some are PWM and a direct 12 volt will fry it.