Ford 6610

/ Ford 6610 #1  

Eleleven22 GA

Tractor
1978 Ford 6610
Good Morning!
I'm new to this forum and new to this tractor. I'm working on wha I believe is a 1978 model Ford 6610 diesel. It has fuel overfilling the crankcase and raw out the exhaust. Where is the best place to post my questions? Is 78 a classic Ford? Would this fall in the operating forums? Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction

/ Ford 6610 #2  
Welcome to TBN
Sounds as if inj pump shaft seal has failed. Repair will require removal of inj pump from engine & disassembly of IP.

/ Ford 6610 #3  
Good Morning!
I'm new to this forum and new to this tractor. I'm working on wha I believe is a 1978 model Ford 6610 diesel. It has fuel overfilling the crankcase and raw out the exhaust. Where is the best place to post my questions? Is 78 a classic Ford? Would this fall in the operating forums? Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction
Does it have a mechanical lift pump in the fuel delivery system? If so, the diaphragm can tear and allow raw fuel to end up in the crankcase. Also what Jim says.

/ Ford 6610
Thanks fellas. Is there a way to clearly diagnose either of these problems? I don't want to pull too much apart or spend money on something I might not need. Thank you both again for your replies. Is there a better place in the forum for me to post m questions?

/ Ford 6610 #5  
Thanks fellas. Is there a way to clearly diagnose either of these problems? I don't want to pull too much apart or spend money on something I might not need. Thank you both again for your replies. Is there a better place in the forum for me to post m questions?
Yeah go the Ford/New Holland Forum.

/ Ford 6610 #6  

Lift pump is usually fairly easy and the first thing to check. It is also the cheapest to replace. If it is the lift pump you can either replace with a factory one or run an electrical line and replace with an electric pump. you would then have to seal off the spot where the original mounted to the engine block. Some people do this so it does not leak into the engine ever again.

If it is not the lift pump then it is likely the injection pump and you might want to leave that for someone that has more experience. They can be rather complex.

Hope this helps!!

/ Ford 6610 #7  

We have a few of those tractors. Yes it has a mechanical pump. Take it off and check for a leak by just blowing on it. If injector lines go onto top of pump, that pump runs in oil and oil level must be kept up. There is a fill plug on side and drain plug on bottom. We check ours each time we use one. I mean for cutting or baling all day. Ain't nothing been changed since 1989 when it was new on the older one.

If lines bolt on back of pump, pump is lubed with fuel.

It try the mechanical pump first. Needs a new one anyway.

If you take injector pump off, there are timing marks that must be lined back up.