Ford 7.3L Gas Engine

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #11  
My 6.2 F250 only gets 11-12 hwy. I would think the 7.3 would be similar or worse. FWIW this is on a utility service truck with a rack on top.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #12  
I'm really excited about this engine. I've run several V10's in my trucks and they've been great. Very inexpensive to own and maintain, and plenty of power to tow what I need. Which is to say, I usually tow my camper at 9k, and my equipment trailers at 12k-15k depending on what I have loaded on that particular day. I currently have a 2014 f250 with the 6.2 Gasser and 4.30 gears. That combination is pretty good also. not as much power as the v10s, but it holds its own for what I need. With the 6.2, I get about 14 MPG empty, and around 7-8 while towing.

For a person like me, and I would I think many other truck owners, these bigger V8 gas engines are a much better option than diesel. I likely will never own a diesel in these trucks again. The upfront cost and the much higher maintenance costs for long-term ownership makes them far less practical or economical.

I have been following the news on the new engine and I was hoping for closer to 500 ft/lb, but 475 still isn't bad. Better than the 430 ft/lb in my 6.2.

GM also has a new 6.6 liter gas engine this year, making torque in the 460 range. that looks like a good package also, however what I don't like about it is they kept the six-speed transmission and looks like they're only offering it with a 3.73 gear. If they would also have a gear closer to 4.30, I would be very interested in the GM also.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #13  
Big displacement high output gasser and good mileage doesn稚 go together.

59HP/L is hardly high-output. HP typically requires more fuel than TQ, to create.

The EPA rating will probably be better than most expect, if you reference based purely on displacement. The commercial sector will love this new package, if it proves reliable.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #14  
I don't know why people make a big deal about the plug spitting problem I have 2 v 10s and have only lost 2 plugs at a cost of 75$ a piece to replace.

I don't know either, that statement generally comes from people that hate Fords.. How about the cost of replacing one injector on a duramax?

The plug problem has been overblown by GM fan boys for years along with the exhaust manifold bolts snapping..

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #15  
I don't know either, that statement generally comes from people that hate Fords.. How about the cost of replacing one injector on a duramax?

The plug problem has been overblown by GM fan boys for years along with the exhaust manifold bolts snapping..

How does one compare a spark plug replacement to an injector replacement? That's like comparing apples to oranges, there is no comparison.

I'm a GM man (used to be a Ford man until I drove my first Duramax) and have never heard of a Ford spitting a spark plug.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #16  

That is one **** of a torque curve. That thing will do just fine in the towing department. I bet Ford held back the power to give itself plenty of room to turn up the power as needed.

That motor checks all the right boxes...

Cast Iron Block
Push Rod
Long intake runners
Big bearings on the bottom end with 4 bolt mains and side bolts.

I've only owned Ford Diesels, but I will admit this is a contender.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #17  
Time will tell with this engine, just like anything else new. No one knows at this point if it is good or bad. They haven't even showed us the internals yet. They are taking a step back to old school tech with a push rod engine....nothing wrong with that either. :2cents:

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #18  
Will there be an EPA rating on this? I didn't think they tested engines in the HDs and up.

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #19  

I'm on my 3rd V10... never any plug spitting problems..but the first 2 trucks both had manifold issues..and 1 ofthem had issues twice...1 had the heads replaced because the broken studs would not come out. ..and both of those were traded with under 25k on the odometer

/ Ford 7.3L Gas Engine #20  
Will there be an EPA rating on this? I didn't think they tested engines in the HDs and up.
I believe that only applies to F450 size and up... Which is why the V10 has still been offered in F450+ up to and including this year.

V10 is in lots of tow trucks, school buses, RV's... Many diehard fans. In my opinion this engine has big shoes to fill (based on my personal experience). But I'm definitely impressed and excited.

Now... If Ford would only offer an independent front axle setup as an option to work on that harsh ride!