Ford 801 SOS ??

/ Ford 801 SOS ?? #1  

tmajor

Platinum Member
Tractor
2010 MF 1529, Woods ZTR MZ1952, National Mower sickle bar circa 1963
OK guys, let's kick the tires on this 801 SOS. I have been warned about these trannies, but the tractor looks so "straight", I can't help but being interested. It was owned by the girls grandfather and as far as I know, he used it for brush hogging. Current standing sales offer .. $2500
What do y'all think?

100_0181.jpg

100_0182.jpg

100_0183.jpg

/ Ford 801 SOS ?? #2  
drive it in all 10 forward gears and both reverses. drive it both cold and hot.

is it the older ORC clutch with hashed out overrunning ranges on the selector, or the updated DDC. DDC is more preferred.

/ Ford 801 SOS ??
I haven't even seen it, "up close and personal", yet. I'm going to try to get together with her and have a look/drive and see what it really looks like. I'll try to get some of the "real particulars", as you mention.

/ Ford 801 SOS ?? #4  
otherwise, the usual stuff. check steering, tires, tin, etc. 2500$ depending on area, is prime money for one. then again, in some areas any small ford is worth that much or more.

/ Ford 801 SOS ??
Arthur's Tractors .... This makes me feel a little better about the SOS transmission, as they are about 4 hours from me. But it doesn't guarantee, the repairs will be cheap.Then again, the transmission may work flawlessly for years. :confused:

Last edited:
   / Ford 801 SOS ?? #6  
I'm not familiar with the sos trannies, but that tractor looks to have been taken really good care of. Not left out in the rain either. First thing I'd get rid of is the extra grill. I'm sure it's practical but just kills the looks of a fine looking tractor. I like the older fords and have a 841 and 851 I keep different attachments on. Those old fords are bullit proof

Sent from the mountains

/ Ford 801 SOS ?? #7  
If he mows around sticks, that extra grill may save a 250$ radiator and 50$ fan!

/ Ford 801 SOS ??
Yeah, I don't like the bumper, but it may have saved some expensive tin. I think, the typical red bumpers are acceptable. :) Also, just mowing hay, takes it's toll on the lower grill/paint.

/ Ford 801 SOS ??
   / Ford 801 SOS ?? #10  
My guess, he tangled with a tree stump.
One of mine has a funky grill. I guess the gate in the front t would have saved the original

image-3634884474.jpg

Sent from the mountains