Buying Advice Ford 8N vs Kubota L2501

/ Ford 8N vs Kubota L2501 #1  

Tractorable

Veteran Member
Tractor
Tractorless, 2022 F350 Tremor, 24ft Diamond C HDT Equipment Trailer, 1980 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40
I own a 1952 Ford 8N and my neighbor recently bought a new Kubota L2501. Yesterday my neighbor let me use his new tractor to mow my fields and I wanted to provide a compare and contrast of old vs new for anyone considering a new L2501.

My pastures had become majorly overgrown due to our wet spring in Virginia and because I was out of the country for a month. The grass in most parts of the fields is 4-5ft high with some parts being extra dense and thick. In the past when it gets like this it has nearly stalled out my 8N with 5ft Bush Hog.

What’s interesting is that the 8N and L2501 are about the same horsepower (25-27hp) and the same weight (2500-2700lbs) but I can tell you, the performance is very different with the tractors both using the same bush hog.

Bottom line, the L2501 is way more capable. Initial thoughts while they’re still fresh in my mind:

1) Hooking the bush hog up to the 3pt was straight forward. The turn buckles we’re a major upgrade to my anti sway bars on the 8N. Wow, no side to side swaying, that’s new, and very nice!

2) Man, engaging the PTO is so smooth. I’m used to lots of grunting and vibrating on the 8N. The torquey diesel in the L2501 got that bush hog spinning like nothing and it was as smooth as a turbine.

3) L2501 mowing through grass as tall as the hood and the engine wasn’t even laboring, first turn, dang this thing is like steering the Titanic with the loader/grapple and bush hog on the back. Need to be careful to not take out my fence. Would be so much nicer to mow without the loader on.

4) I can back into corners and mow them! HST is so precise. On the 8N you gotta back in at high speed, be quick on the clutch and brakes, and hope that the momentum in the bush hog is enough to cut the grass, cause the PTO shuts off when you step on the clutch.

5) Part of a tree fell in the pasture during our recent wind storm, too heavy for me to pick up,
don’t feel like hiking back to the barn to get the chainsaw, no problem I’ll just use the grapple! Pick it up and dropped it over the fence. Couldn’t do that on the 8N.

6) In a few parts the grass was so thick going uphill I could feel the L2501 laboring and rpms dropping. No problem, just ease up on the HST pedal and let the hog chew it up. With the 8N you can’t slow down and it’d stall if you didn’t step on the clutch. Would then have to raise the mower and make two passes.

7) I wish the L2501 had a grab handle on the right fender, kept wanting to grab onto something.

8) Cup holder on L2501 is too small to hold an iPhone 8 Plus.

9) Toolbox on L2501 is kinda small and chincy.

10) The 4wd on the L2501 is really nice and it’s very surefooted going up steep hills.

11) Why do I keep hitting all these branches? Oh, that ROPS is high! 8N would sneak right under it.

12) Prickly blackberry bush overhanging fence. With HST I can ease up to it and carefully move it behind me. With the 8N it’s a potential high speed death threat about to rip me to shreds, duck!!

13) visibility is better on the 8N both frontwards and backwards. The L2501 is taller and to see the mower well you have to look back and down more. Then there’s the loader on the front.

14) Still baked in the hot Virginia summer sun, inhaled a ton of pollen and grass dust, got all sweaty and stinky. Same on the L2501 as the 8N. Wife said “you look......ummm, yeah” then wouldn’t let me kiss her. Hmmm, perhaps a cab is in order for when I pull the trigger on a new tractor....:)

The L2501 is very capable and plenty enough tractor to get things done around a small farm.

IMG_0118.JPG

IMG_0120.JPG

/ Ford 8N vs Kubota L2501 #2  
Nice write up! Tractors have come a long way in 60 years it appears.

/ Ford 8N vs Kubota L2501 #3  
Don't miss our 8N or 9N,they had their day.The L2501 is a very capable replacement.

/ Ford 8N vs Kubota L2501 #4  
How is your standard 8N toolbox for usefulness? The LA525 loader comes with QA device. You can easily drop the bucket and still have the loader frame for ballast and hood protection.

/ Ford 8N vs Kubota L2501 #5  
I just upgraded from a 73ish L175 to a kioti CK3510 HST.

Yep, live PTO and HST make a HUGE difference in brush hogging. 4x4 let me go, well, get out of, places teh L175 didn't dare go.

I drop the bucket for hogging. Grille guard standard on Kioti, as is a cup holder AND phone holder AND two handles.

For $650 I got cruise control, arm rest, link pedal, rear remotes, rubber floor mat, loaded tires, mirror (can see to back up..VERY nice). Cab...not a cheap upgrade but can see the benefits.

/ Ford 8N vs Kubota L2501 #6  
But there is a bit of a price difference

/ Ford 8N vs Kubota L2501 #7  
Thanks for the very detailed comparison. I have owned a 1977 Ford 2600 gas tractor that has served me very well for the past 21 years. Now I'm seriously looking at buying a new Kubota L2501 DT with loader SSQA, R4 tires filled and 3rd valve for grapples.
Will be mostly used for mowing between my 40 acre pine tree plantation and box blading the driveway with occasional grapple and bucket work.

/ Ford 8N vs Kubota L2501 #8  
Just replaced 1947 Ford 8N (transmission 2n and some 9n parts aka FrankNFord)

View attachment 557996

with a used (don't even know the year... lol) Kubota L2900.

View attachment 557992

They are both tractors, but the comparisons end there! My 8N engine is tired (please email me if you know where to get a reasonable priced replacement engine in Minnesota), low compression, smoking from filler cap and super hard to start in the cold. I also really need a front end loader which I didn't feel like pursuing on a 2wd antique tractor - and I need 4WD.

The Kubota diesel engine has way more torque and that's what does the work. Comparing diesel to gasoline horsepower isn't equal in the getting work done department - you benefit from torque on a tractor. My 8N would bog down going up a slight incline dragging a 7' back blade. Tried lifting a concrete bird bath with the 8N and the 3point just shuddered, but I've hauled 16" - 8' logs with a grapple no problem.

Brakes on an antique Ford tractor are reason enough to get a modern tractor, particularly if you have people working with you. God I hate the brakes on that Ford and I've replaced both sides including oil seals to keep gear lube out. When I step on the brakes on my Kubota I stop! :)

/ Ford 8N vs Kubota L2501 #9  
Almost like comparing apples to oranges.

/ Ford 8N vs Kubota L2501 #10