ford 907 flail burning belts

/ ford 907 flail burning belts #1  

Mallard1

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 4320
I have an old ford 907 flail mower that is burning belts like crazy if it gets in taller grass. it sat unused for 10 years or so and recently started using it again. everything seems to spin free. I am using gates belts. it is a C section belt. any ideas where to start looking into this?

/ ford 907 flail burning belts #2  
I have an old ford 907 flail mower that is burning belts like crazy if it gets in taller grass. it sat unused for 10 years or so and recently started using it again. everything seems to spin free. I am using gates belts. it is a C section belt. any ideas where to start looking into this?
Take a good look at the condition of the pullies and make sure the surfaces are all clean, smooth, aligned and free of any damage. Sitting that long they could be chewing up the belts.

/ ford 907 flail burning belts #3  
I would check to see if the pulley's are worn out. If the belt is touching the bottom of the pulley then the pulley is worn.

The 9828694 drive belt is a raw edge belt. Your C series belt is a wrapped belt. Wrapped belts have reduced power transmission, as the wrapping is meant to act as a clutch. Put a CX series cogged belt on and see if that helps as all cogged belts are raw edge.

Between a worn drive pulley and a wrapped belt I was having the same problems with slippage on my Alamo. I am pretty sure the wrapped belts wore out the drive pulley, as the rotor pulley was just fine.

/ ford 907 flail burning belts #4  
The belts can't be sloppy or loose, should be
fairly snug if not the belt slips and they don't
last very long. Also the belts should fit just slightly
inside the edge of the pulley if the belt extends
out side of the pulley edge they have a very short
life span. Have you tried the belts that look like
they have lugs on them?

willy

/ ford 907 flail burning belts #5  
Someone mentioned earlier that if your blades are hitting the ground, it causes the belts to slip and quickly overheat. Make sure your at least 2-3 inches off the ground with your cut? I believe that was his wise advise. *Adjust cut height with roller on the ground 1st. ;)

/ ford 907 flail burning belts #6  
My ford flail will pull the tractor 3 times as hard as my bush hog in grass knee deep.

/ ford 907 flail burning belts #7  
Have you tried the belts that look like they have lugs on them?

willy
These belts are called cogged belts and are designated by an X in the part number, so if OP is using a C series belt, they will need to try a CX series for the cogged belt. The coggs let the belt bend better so they can be used on a smaller pulley. However they are also raw edge, so they transmit the power better.

/ ford 907 flail burning belts #8  
I'm using C belts on my Caldwell Barracuda flail. It stalled my Ford 3910 before I could disengage the PTO when I wrapped up about 100' of barbwire. If the C belts slipped, it sure wasn't much. But there's three of them. And I've been using the same ones for about 12-13 years. The Ford has about 42hp PTO. o_O

/ ford 907 flail burning belts
Take a good look at the condition of the pullies and make sure the surfaces are all clean, smooth, aligned and free of any damage. Sitting that long they could be chewing up the belts.
The pulleys are aligned however there was some pitting where the belt rides. its not rough anymore but not a machined surface.

I would check to see if the pulley's are worn out. If the belt is touching the bottom of the pulley then the pulley is worn.

The 9828694 drive belt is a raw edge belt. Your C series belt is a wrapped belt. Wrapped belts have reduced power transmission, as the wrapping is meant to act as a clutch. Put a CX series cogged belt on and see if that helps as all cogged belts are raw edge.

Between a worn drive pulley and a wrapped belt I was having the same problems with slippage on my Alamo. I am pretty sure the wrapped belts wore out the drive pulley, as the rotor pulley was just fine.
the belt does stick out above the pulley slightly when new and rides on the sides like its supposed to. after it slips a few times it burns in and slips bad.
The belts can't be sloppy or loose, should be
fairly snug if not the belt slips and they don't
last very long. Also the belts should fit just slightly
inside the edge of the pulley if the belt extends
out side of the pulley edge they have a very short
life span. Have you tried the belts that look like
they have lugs on them?

willy

It take's a C section belt and I can't find any CX belts in a C51 i think is the size. also can find any kevlar belts either. I have looked at gates and bando.

/ ford 907 flail burning belts
Someone mentioned earlier that if your blades are hitting the ground, it causes the belts to slip and quickly overheat. Make sure your at least 2-3 inches off the ground with your cut? I believe that was his wise advise. *Adjust cut height with roller on the ground 1st. ;)
it is set to the highest setting.
I'm using C belts on my Caldwell Barracuda flail. It stalled my Ford 3910 before I could disengage the PTO when I wrapped up about 100' of barbwire. If the C belts slipped, it sure wasn't much. But there's three of them. And I've been using the same ones for about 12-13 years. The Ford has about 42hp PTO. o_O
this mower only uses 1 C section belt