Ford 917 Flail Need Main Rotor!

/ Ford 917 Flail Need Main Rotor! #1  

wirlybird

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 3038 E, John Deere 3032E, John Deere 756, John Deere X585, John Deere 332
Hi all,
Picked up a 917 Ford flail yesterday for a few hundred bucks. Overall in solid condition and the bearings all seem to be tight and everything rotates freely.
No for the not good! The main rotor is damaged. You can see in the pictures where someone tried to weld to hold it together but it is a little bent and likely not repairably.

So, what options? I'll start looking for a replacement drum.
Is this something a machine shop/welder can rebuild?

Also looking for an Owners Manual. So far my search has brought up Parts manuals only!
Thanks for any advice on this.

20220327_181402.jpg

Attachments

• 20220327_181406.jpg
    20220327_181406.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 78
  • 20220327_181445.jpg
    20220327_181445.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 71
  • 20220328_100059.jpg
    20220328_100059.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
   / Ford 917 Flail Need Main Rotor! #2  
How wide is your 917?

A place like Flail Master in TN may have one?

/ Ford 917 Flail Need Main Rotor!
   / Ford 917 Flail Need Main Rotor! #4  
You might try placing a "Want to buy" ad on TractorHouse: https://www.tractorhouse.com/ Look top right, when the page opens. You'll need to register, and leave contact info. Then, give a good description of what you're looking for. Brand, model number, size, and part number is a BIG help. If you don't have a parts manual for it, can probably look it up at New Holland Ag. New Holland

Normally, when I've posted there, I've gotten responses within an hour, to up to 3 days. And I believe they have a "Satisfaction Guarantee" clause, on their sellers. I've probably bought 8-10 different parts using that, and have been pleased with what I got.

/ Ford 917 Flail Need Main Rotor! #7  
Check with the folks at Flailmaster or Messicks.
With that much damage on that flail mower I know for a fact it was abused.
I would ask for my money back before I even drained the gearbox and invest
in a NEW Vrisimo 6 foot flail mower with front gauge wheels OR purchase a rear
mounted flail mower at a municipal surplus auction.

Check with the folks at Flailmaster or Messicks.
With that much damage on that flail mower I know for a fact it was abused.
I would ask for my money back before I even drained the gearbox and invest
in a NEW Vrisimo 6 foot flail mower with front gauge wheels OR purchase a rear
mounted flail mower at a municipal surplus auction.
Sorry but you DON'T know "for a fact" it was abused. There is no other damage. The main body/frame is straight and only typical surface rust.
Rear roller, all bearings etc. are all good.
The damage to the rotor occurred when they hit a pipe that was low enough for the tractor to go over but it hit the rotor and bent it. Someone tried to weld it up it years ago.
We bought it knowing the rotor was bent. For what we paid we can part it out easily if needed.
We've located another one in far worse overall condition but runs and spins smoothly. We'll swap out the main rotor and go from there.
Thanks for the input.

/ Ford 917 Flail Need Main Rotor! #9  
The part number is BU81622. It is discontinued by CNH. it was previously $1621. Buying the parts unit would most likely be the best option, assuming no other damage was done to the unit when it snapped. Catastrophic damage like what is on your unit had to have required some significant force. I would check it carefully to make sure nothing else got damaged prior to putting any more money in it.

The part number is BU81622. It is discontinued by CNH. it was previously $1621. Buying the parts unit would most likely be the best option, assuming no other damage was done to the unit when it snapped. Catastrophic damage like what is on your unit had to have required some significant force. I would check it carefully to make sure nothing else got damaged prior to putting any more money in it.
Thanks. I haven't found any other damage or indications of damage. Frame is in surprisingly good condition even just considering age. Aside from the surface rust it is solid and undented/damaged.
I've pulled the main rotor and the bearings and end plates all were in good shape. Bearings had grease and are not loose. Even the bolts were in decent shape and without much rust.
We'll see how it goes once we have the donor machine!