Ford 918H Roller End Dimensions for Rebuilding

/ Ford 918H Roller End Dimensions for Rebuilding #1  

OhioCowboy

Silver Member
Tractor
KIOTI CK3510se HST Open Station w/FEL, RK24 HST w/FEL & Backhoe, DEAD-NH TC33D HST
I need to rebuild the ends of my Ford 918H 71" flail mower roller. The roller I have is fine except for the shafts on the ends that run in the bearings. They have worn and I need to weld a new piece on the end and machine it to OEM dimensions. I was able to buy the bearings, so I can determine the O.D. of the shaft, see attached drawing for the exact part I'm trying to rebuild. It's approx 35mm.

What I need is the length of the shaft from the roller to the end. It also has snap ring on the end, so I need the distance from the end of the shaft to the groove for the snap ring. I've tried to get the dimensions from the local Ford dealers, but they no longer carry the roller, cannot order one, and tell me a dimensional drawing is not available from Ford.

I even offered to buy a new roller from Ford for $415 and was surprised by the answer that they can't find one of the 71" rollers. I thought they were telling me they couldn't find a print so I would have to buy the roller.
Found it listed online, but nobody has them in stock.
Does anyone have a drawing or a roller that is not worn and able to get the measurements? Even the end to end dimensions of a 71" roller would get me there. I hate to have another piece of equipment just sitting around getting rusty.
Thanks

Attachments

• 918H Roller Diagram.jpg
    918H Roller Diagram.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 147
   / Ford 918H Roller End Dimensions for Rebuilding #2  
The roll has to fit the bearings when mounted to the mower's frame, correct? Why not just mount the bearings and do your own calculations?

/ Ford 918H Roller End Dimensions for Rebuilding
The bearing holder needs to be replaced also. I was trying to get actual dimensions, especially the c-clip location, before I sent it out to the machine shop.
If they make the ends too long, no problem, but if they make them too short, I have a problem.
It seems that your idea is the way I'll have to go though. I don't think this was a popular mower. Other posts I've read point out the bearings and holders are a weakness of this mower.
When I get the bearing holders I'll get the dimensions. If I had a trailer, I'd load it up and and take it to the machine shop for them to measure.
Thanks for your suggestion.