Ford Announces New Company, Model E, what's your thoughts?

/ Ford Announces New Company, Model E, what's your thoughts? #1  

LFP57

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota LX2610
Ford Motor has announced that they have spilt off into a new company, called Ford Model E. Many have suspected that with the purchase of the Michigan Central Station, this was the direction they were going. What's your thoughts about this? Do you think that other OEMs will follow suit and what role do you think the dealerships will still have in this new way of doing business?

/ Ford Announces New Company, Model E, what's your thoughts? #2  
Mixed thoughts. Certainly the old way with a dealer having a lot full of new vehicles is hugely expensive and leads to a certain percentage of inventory that doesn't move.

Not crazy about the order online and pick up though either. Not that I buy new, but it is nice to be able to window shop, test drive vehicles and see how things look in the real world. I'm a big guy and find a lot of vehicles to be uncomfortable, or have awkward/poorly placed/non-intuitive controls. No way you're gonna know this ahead of time unless you can see the merchandise.

Seems like Ford is hedging its bets a bit on EVs with the 2 divisions business plan, clearly ICEs are going to be part of the product mix for the foreseeable future. The impression I get is that they're not going to go with separate dealerships. Maybe along the line of what they did with Lincoln & Mercury? Separate products, but generally sold by the same dealers?

/ Ford Announces New Company, Model E, what's your thoughts? #3  
Mixed thoughts. Certainly the old way with a dealer having a lot full of new vehicles is hugely expensive and leads to a certain percentage of inventory that doesn't move.

Not crazy about the order online and pick up though either. Not that I buy new, but it is nice to be able to window shop, test drive vehicles and see how things look in the real world. I'm a big guy and find a lot of vehicles to be uncomfortable, or have awkward/poorly placed/non-intuitive controls. No way you're gonna know this ahead of time unless you can see the merchandise.

Seems like Ford is hedging its bets a bit on EVs with the 2 divisions business plan, clearly ICEs are going to be part of the product mix for the foreseeable future. The impression I get is that they're not going to go with separate dealerships. Maybe along the line of what they did with Lincoln & Mercury? Separate products, but generally sold by the same dealers?

And who do you take it too when it needs service, call backs, problem etc.? I can't see the 'no dealer' working very well.

/ Ford Announces New Company, Model E, what's your thoughts? #4  
I think the battery thing is mostly a trendy gimmick and I don't understand the manufacturers so eagerly signing up for this. Maybe there's huge tax credits or some kind of "offset" that they can apply to their CAFE standards.
Any "environmentalist" that's not consumed with the hype knows the environmental impact of these batteries, both in production and long term.

/ Ford Announces New Company, Model E, what's your thoughts? #5  
I see the financial side...when the EV thing dosen't work out, the losses don't extend to the mothership.

Smart of Ford actually.

/ Ford Announces New Company, Model E, what's your thoughts? #6  
I think the battery thing is mostly a trendy gimmick and I don't understand the manufacturers so eagerly signing up for this. Maybe there's huge tax credits or some kind of "offset" that they can apply to their CAFE standards.
Any "environmentalist" that's not consumed with the hype knows the environmental impact of these batteries, both in production and long term.
I agree. All they have to do is keep driving gas prices higher and more people will jump on EV. That's my "fake news" for the day. ;)

/ Ford Announces New Company, Model E, what's your thoughts? #7  
I see the financial side...when the EV thing dosen't work out, the losses don't extend to the mothership.

Smart of Ford actually.
Yep. I'm with Eric. I think there's tax incentive in there somewhere. Just as there's tax incentive to build and install charging stations.

/ Ford Announces New Company, Model E, what's your thoughts? #8  
....and windmills
and solar and solar "farms".
I think solar on your roof can make sense as a contributor to the grid and your electric bill, but the tax credits are another thing that just subsides the people with excess money and their virtue signaling. 👍

/ Ford Announces New Company, Model E, what's your thoughts? #9  
A simple example is a buffet vs. a short-order grill.
The buffet owner loses income if he doesn't fix enough and throws out food when he cooks too much.
In the end, the consumer pays for his errors if he stays in business.

Point being, this should make cars cheaper for the customer assuming some of the savings is passed along.

/ Ford Announces New Company, Model E, what's your thoughts? #10  
Point being, this should make cars cheaper for the customer assuming some of the savings is passed along.
As it has been in the past??? ;)