Ford? Chevy? GMC? Toyota??? New Pickup Truck Forum!

/ Ford? Chevy? GMC? Toyota??? New Pickup Truck Forum! #41  
Just speaking for myself here. I have great memories of the 60s and 70s eras cars/trucks. I relish the idea of having one to cruise around in. They were so luxurious and comfortable.

Then I attend the local car shows and go for short cruises with friends in theirs.

Then reality sets in. They had some great character in their design. Some unique creature comfort ideas. Look awesome going down the road.

Compared to today's products, they are horrible. Uncomfortable. Not user friendly. Nothing about them was efficient. High maintenance. Much better in my fantasy memories than in reality.

Wish we still built in some of that old school character. Sure don't miss that era technology. :)

/ Ford? Chevy? GMC? Toyota??? New Pickup Truck Forum! #42  
Well, I'm talking only of cabin, creature comfort. My 08 Sierra SLT doesn't even have a hood lamp, glove box lamp, or place to put my sunglasses. Wow, what luxury! lol It has dual temp control, but is incapable of putting a decent amount of warm air at my cold feet like ANY 70s vehicle could. What great technology!

As far as being "USER FRIENDLY". Nothing describes todays vehicles as best as "USER UNFRIENDLY" With their three inch thick manuals. And stuff is not even labeled in English anymore, just those stupid symbols.

I suspect that the cheap interiors are all about recycling, and I get that. But don't try and tell me, that they are in any way nice or that we should have to pay a premium price for that garbage. And in a sense that is EXACTLY what it is. Just ready for the garbage, aka recycling.

Last edited:
   / Ford? Chevy? GMC? Toyota??? New Pickup Truck Forum! #43  
Well, I'm talking only of cabin, creature comfort. My 08 Sierra SLT doesn't even have a hood lamp, glove box lamp, or place to put my sunglasses. Wow, what luxury! lol It has dual temp control, but is incapable of putting a decent amount of warm air at my cold feet like ANY 70s vehicle could. What great technology!

As far as being "USER FRIENDLY". Nothing describes todays vehicles as best as "USER UNFRIENDLY" With their three inch thick manuals. And stuff is not even labeled in English anymore, just those stupid symbols.

I suspect that the cheap interiors are all about recycling, and I get that. But don't try and tell me, that they are in any way nice or that we should have to pay a premium price for that garbage. And in a sense that is EXACTLY what it is. Just ready for the garbage, aka recycling.
My "18" Silverado will put the heat where you want it, and blast you out, if that's what you want...

It has two glove boxes and a nice storage that opens over head, for sun glass' ect plus lot's of storage in the door pockets and console, that also lifts up if that's what you prefer.

I had NEW pickups in the 70's, 80's and 90's... There's NO 70's pu that I'd trade my 18 for new...NONE! Even for the price difference...

BTW, the "19" Silverado's, have an even bigger cab, I think the biggest of all the pu's...

SR

/ Ford? Chevy? GMC? Toyota??? New Pickup Truck Forum! #44  
One of the reasons I custom ordered my F150 was because I did NOT want that huge console next to me. Made me feel like I was sitting in a tunnel. So I understand Industrial Toys' objection to that. The console takes up a huge amount of room. Without it, and with the standard 40/20/40 seat, the truck feels much more roomy. Also I ordered a tan interior. I have a Jeep with the black interior (only interior color available in a Jeep!) and hate it. Feels like I'm in an enclosed tomb. The light tan interior makes it look and feel much more spacious.
I'm in my mid-70s now and had a lot of pickups through the years. This new F150 is by far the best of the lot. Most comfortable, quietest, most dependable, most powerful and most important - most economical. Just turned 32,000 miles and overall mpg average since I bought the truck is 20.9 as calculated by the Excel spreadsheet I maintain. Oil changes and tire rotations is all the truck has needed since I bought it. Never been back to the dealer. And I would not trade it for any of the pickups I used to own!

/ Ford? Chevy? GMC? Toyota??? New Pickup Truck Forum! #45  
My "18" Silverado will put the heat where you want it, and blast you out, if that's what you want...

It has two glove boxes and a nice storage that opens over head, for sun glass' ect plus lot's of storage in the door pockets and console, that also lifts up if that's what you prefer.

I had NEW pickups in the 70's, 80's and 90's... There's NO 70's pu that I'd trade my 18 for new...NONE! Even for the price difference...

BTW, the "19" Silverado's, have an even bigger cab, I think the biggest of all the pu's...

SR

Well explained.

/ Ford? Chevy? GMC? Toyota??? New Pickup Truck Forum! #46  
One of the reasons I custom ordered my F150 was because I did NOT want that huge console next to me. Made me feel like I was sitting in a tunnel. So I understand Industrial Toys' objection to that. The console takes up a huge amount of room. Without it, and with the standard 40/20/40 seat, the truck feels much more roomy. Also I ordered a tan interior. I have a Jeep with the black interior (only interior color available in a Jeep!) and hate it. Feels like I'm in an enclosed tomb. The light tan interior makes it look and feel much more spacious.
I'm in my mid-70s now and had a lot of pickups through the years. This new F150 is by far the best of the lot. Most comfortable, quietest, most dependable, most powerful and most important - most economical. Just turned 32,000 miles and overall mpg average since I bought the truck is 20.9 as calculated by the Excel spreadsheet I maintain. Oil changes and tire rotations is all the truck has needed since I bought it. Never been back to the dealer. And I would not trade it for any of the pickups I used to own!

Another well written remark.

/ Ford? Chevy? GMC? Toyota??? New Pickup Truck Forum! #47  
I think the black interiors look like the black hole of Calcutta. My Moms 13 Impalla is like that. Add poor eyesight and that I like everything like wallets and cases, black, well everything disappears. I searched high and low for my grey interior, drove three hours one way to get it, but it of course does show dirt easier. Maybe not a bad thing. I hate to think of how dirty some dark interiors may actually be.

When you have paid CASH before you drive off the lot, maybe you expect more from a vehicle. Like, I spent "X" on THIS?

/ Ford? Chevy? GMC? Toyota??? New Pickup Truck Forum! #48  
Is the truckbynet still going? I googled it tonight but came up not found.

/ Ford? Chevy? GMC? Toyota??? New Pickup Truck Forum! #49  
yeah would be good what happened to it?

/ Ford? Chevy? GMC? Toyota??? New Pickup Truck Forum! #50  

I agree that modern vehicles are anything but user-friendly, for the reasons you mentioned. I suppose all the touchscreen menus appeal to millennials who live their lives thru their cellphones, but to a guy like me in his late 60s they're not very intuitive. Ovrszd does make a good point though about the downsides to older vehicles...user-friendliness, simplicity and styling (most of the time) were the strong points. And don't forget the joys of 4 wheel drum brakes. :eek:

Not all 70s cars had great heaters either. The sole new car I've ever owned ('70 Dart) had kind of an anemic heater that put way more heat on the passenger's feet than the drivers. It actually put more heat on the floor in the "defrost" position than it did when directed to the floor, but still if it was below 10 degrees it took a looong time for the interior to warm up.