Ford New Holland 1920 Power steering cylinder

/ Ford New Holland 1920 Power steering cylinder #1  

RobertBrown

Elite Member
Tractor
Bolens G192/TS1910 Ford/New Holland 1920
The power steering cylinder is leaking from the seal at the business end. Looks like it could be rebuilt (especially when you price the replacement cylinder cost 800$ plus).
I have found the new seals but I'm not sure I can get this cylinder apart and back together with out some special tool. I'm mainly concerned about the gland nut as shown.
Has anyone ever rebuilt one of these?

Posted this in hydraulics for 2 weeks and not one response....
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/hydraulics/341144-ford-1920-power-steering-leak.html

/ Ford New Holland 1920 Power steering cylinder #2  
Did you try taking your pix to a hydraulic shop?

Jim

/ Ford New Holland 1920 Power steering cylinder
Did you try taking your pix to a hydraulic shop?

Jim
Yes I called a shop in town and sent the pics . They said they could fix and gave me their labor rates .....75$ an hour 30-40$ for the seals

/ Ford New Holland 1920 Power steering cylinder #4  
Not very difficult tom rebuild if you are mechanically inclined. Gland screws apart and pretty straight forward from there.

Not very difficult tom rebuild if you are mechanically inclined. Gland screws apart and pretty straight forward
from there.
Thanks
I'm worried about the gland nut. I don't have a wrench for it. I can't seem to locate one......Any suggestions ?

/ Ford New Holland 1920 Power steering cylinder #6  
plenty of less sophisticated folk would use a pipe wrench or large pair of channel locks. That said, an adjustable spanner wrench would not break most piggy banks. I'd try to un-stake the gland nut with a narrow cold chisel before unscrewing it.

/ Ford New Holland 1920 Power steering cylinder #7  
plenty of less sophisticated folk would use a pipe wrench or large pair of channel locks. That said, an adjustable spanner wrench would not break most piggy banks. I'd try to un-stake the gland nut with a narrow cold chisel before unscrewing it.

The correct tool purchase would still be less than the shop labor too.

I would rather pay someone else to do the work then look at a scared up cylinder for years. It's not THAT much money.
I notice some play where the steering arm attaches to the spindle (2wd). The steering arm rocks up and down a bit and I'm thinking that this may be causing the cylinder to experience some torque when fully extended. I disassembled the joint and inspected the mating parts and they were fully greased and look to be good, no excessive wear.
I did see a couple of shims in there and perhaps I need to add or replace some....any thoughts?

/ Ford New Holland 1920 Power steering cylinder #10  
I would rather pay someone else to do the work then look at a scared up cylinder for years. It's not THAT much money.
I notice some play where the steering arm attaches to the spindle (2wd). The steering arm rocks up and down a bit and I'm thinking that this may be causing the cylinder to experience some torque when fully extended. I disassembled the joint and inspected the mating parts and they were fully greased and look to be good, no excessive wear.
I did see a couple of shims in there and perhaps I need to add or replace some....any thoughts?

It would not surprise me if a spanner wrench cost less than the seal kit. Its your tractor and your dime.